Best 4" Lift to fit 33" tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best 4" Lift to fit 33" tires

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 08-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
ckarmis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Best 4" Lift to fit 33" tires

Looking for the best short arm 4" lift to put a set of 33x12.5x15 on a 98 TJ. Was looking at the Pro Comp Stage I with MX-6 shocks, but noticed the Pro Comp reviews are not that good. Anybody have any recommendations?

ckarmis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

One option is to run a 2" or 2.5" BB and a 1" or 1.25" BL. I have a buddy whose LJ Rubi is set up like that, and loves it.

As for the ProComp lift, I've had no experience with their lifts. I can say that I was not impressed with the TeraFlex lift that I had on my old JK, and the Skyjacker lift on my current LJ has pleasantly surprised me.

RED JEEP CLUB #602
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarmis View Post
Looking for the best short arm 4" lift to put a set of 33x12.5x15 on a 98 TJ. Was looking at the Pro Comp Stage I with MX-6 shocks, but noticed the Pro Comp reviews are not that good. Anybody have any recommendations?
Pro Comp springs are very good,but that's it.It's just a matter of opinion on the best lift.That's why there's a wide variety of them.To each his own.Like mentioned,I'd go with a 2-3" SL and 1" BL for the best ride for 33's.Check out the new Zone/BDS lifts.BDS is good and they have few,but good reviews.It all depends what you do with your Jeep and how much cash you want to blow on it.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
dadscab
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went with the RC 4" lift. i think it has the most bang for your buck and it only took me a weekend to install along with the SLE. Its the flex kit and if you fallow their directions closely, the alignment shop won't have a big problem with the alignment. I also went with a 1.25 body lift because I like to clear my tires instead of having them stuffed.
dadscab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
ckarmis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Too much lift

So I went with the 4" pro comp lift but not very happy with it. Jeep is lifted way too high. There is too much space between tires and fenders. And I'm thinking now that I should have gone with the Mickey Thompson wheels instead of the black look - oh well. In any event, does anbody have a recommendation on how to lower this rig now? Two main questions that I have are:

1. I assume I need different springs? Hopefully I can keep the MX6 shocks since they were pricey and just use shorter springs (mabye from a 2.5" SL kit).

2. Are the control arms that came with the 4" pro comp lift going to make #1 above not work or create other problems since they are not adjustable and now I am going to try to use them with a shorter lift kit?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
tj-lifted-pic.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
scottquaint
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I feel as though you should sell the tires you have now, and go with some 35's if you feel like the tires aren't filling the fenders. As for lowering it that would mean a whole new lift because anytime you do a lift it should be the whole kit.
scottquaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
ckarmis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lowering

It just looks too offroad aggressive compared to the look I was going for. 35" tires would probably make the jeep even taller. Also, the new MT MTZ tires look really aggressive, and the black wheels don't help.

So, I think I"ll either be lowering it, switching wheels/tires, or if those options are too expensive for what I have already spent, may just sell it (but hate to do that since I love that jeep).

Anybody else have any suggestions?
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottquaint View Post
As for lowering it that would mean a whole new lift because anytime you do a lift it should be the whole kit.
Not necessarily.....only if you bought a crap kit with fixed control arms.

OP--you probably should have done more research before you settled for a sub-par setup.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
ckarmis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also, I wonder if some new Bushwacker pocket flares would help it look not quite as high by filling in the gap a little bit?
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, don't toss the baby with the bathwater. I think it looks good, maybe give it some time to see if it grows on you.

In the meantime you might consider
a) Offering a trade (locally) for silver wheels. Lots of people want black right now.
b) Let the springs settle in.
c) Maybe buy some shorter springs if you still hate the height. Lift kits don't need to come as a kit.
d) Fill out your profile so we know what axles and gearing you are dealing with as a starting point.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pocket style flares will make it have less clearance above the tires. If that is the route you choose, look on ebay for TAG pocket style flares. I got mine for 185 dollars and the fit was good. No need for those pricey Bushwackers.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
Steelheader
1998 TJ Wrangler 

WTF dude? It looks awesome! Too off-road AGGRESSIVE? WTF is that? It's a Jeep for Chrissakes! What r u looking for, a mall crawler? Sell it to someone that will use it for what it's made for...WHEELIN!!! :
Steelheader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I think 4" with 33s" looks fine.
Keep in mind, its very beneficial to have lots of room above the tire, if you actual intend to use it offroad.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #14
ckarmis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Flares

If I'm going to get some new fender flares for this rig, anybody know if 4" or 6" wide ones will look better? I'm thinking of getting the 6" ones but thought I would get a second, or third, or fourth opinion before buying.
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
kyledogg88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of mine with 4" lift and 33's. The bushwackers are 4" wide too

kyledogg88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
33 , lift , pro comp , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.