best 4 inch lift kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best 4 inch lift kit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
erhenriques
2006 TJ Wrangler 

best 4 inch lift kit?

i am looking for a good 4inch lift kit for my 2006 tj with a 4 cylinder engine. i dont want to go to cheap but i dont do much serious off roading. i am confused with what the difference is with a long arm kit? what is better about the long arm

erhenriques is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

LA kits ride better.Longer control arms.Why go with the best if you don't do much serious stuff? RC works well.
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are pro's and con's to every lift. Do a lot of research. Long arms ride better, but are more prone to your control arms hanging up on larger rocks, require more modifications to the vehicle, and can be very pricey. Short arms ride stiffer, stray further from the factory control arm angle design, require less modifications and cost less. My opinion, the currie 4" is the best short arm, I've had two RC short arms and regretted them both. I run a Currie 4" now and am very impressed with it's design, quality, and strength. RC's X series is a cheap imitation of the Currie design. You get what you pay for when it comes to lift kits, so buyer beware.

Last edited by Ironwind1972; 03-15-2010 at 11:39 AM..
Ironwind1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Why go with the best if you don't do much serious stuff?
For me it was disappointment when I bought something I thought was "good enough", then had to spend MORE money to get something that would be reliable and perform as advertised.

OmanJeep's advice to go with quality and cry once, or go cheap and cry many times comes to mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwind1972 View Post
There are pro's and con's to every lift. Do a lot of research. Long arms ride better, but are more prone to your control arms hanging up on larger rocks, require more modifications to the vehicle, and can be very pricey. Short arms ride stiffer, stray further from the factory control arm angle design, but require less modifications and cost less. My opinion, the currie 4" is the best short arm, I've had two RC short arms and regretted them both. I run a Currie 4" now and am very impressed with it's design, quality, and strength. You get what you pay for when it comes to lift kits, so buyer beware.
X2
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhenriques View Post
i am looking for a good 4inch lift kit for my 2006 tj with a 4 cylinder engine. i dont want to go to cheap but i dont do much serious off roading. i am confused with what the difference is with a long arm kit? what is better about the long arm
Clayton Off-Road, Gen-Right or Poly Performance long arm kit with 4" AEV Progressive or Old Man Emu springs, with outboarded rear shocks.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

read longarm basics
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
OmanJeep's advice to go with quality and cry once, or go cheap and cry many times comes to mind...
Big boys don't cry.
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
GriffTatum
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ive ran Rough Country from the beggining (of getting a lift) not offroading, and it's done we well. I had a lot of issues with flex so i got sway bar quick disconnects, and in my opinion, that's when you get the full value out of your suspension.
GriffTatum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffTatum View Post
Ive ran Rough Country from the beggining (of getting a lift) not offroading, and it's done we well. I had a lot of issues with flex so i got sway bar quick disconnects, and in my opinion, that's when you get the full value out of your suspension.
FYI, RC isn't near the quality of Currie, AEV or Clayton Off-Road, etc. Not even same ballpark. Also disconnecting sway bars is NOT how you get "full value out of your suspension". Replacing the front and rear sway bars with either an Anti-Rock or dual rate sway bar system IS.
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Big boys don't cry.
OK, well maybe just at the end of Old Yeller
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
OK, well maybe just at the end of Old Yeller
I cried in "Gone in 60 Seconds". They really trashed a beautiful Shelby
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

get the RC 4in "X" kit, im ordering it Wensday, so if this thread is still around ill let you know

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Grindahl

Most people on here will suggest what they have or what they did. Nothing wrong with it, they know it works.

1) Are you doing the install yourself?
2) Find a retailer you can trust and get their input. They do it for a living day in and day out. A good one can even suggest changes to meet your needs based on your location and what you do.

For me, I called David at Northridge4x4. He knows my area and was able to go over all aspects of short vs. long, kits vs. hybrids, etc. etc.

Again, this is what I did... you alone can decide what you will do.
Grindahl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.