Best 2.5-3.5" lift under for around $300 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best 2.5-3.5" lift under for around $300

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Best 2.5-3.5" lift under for around $300

I am in the process of building a rig that is capable of light trails. It is a 2001 4 banger that I have about $1200 to spend. I can get 5 Goodyear Duratrac tires shipped for about $850. I also need to get a matching spare rim for about $50. Plus need them mounted and balanced. So in your experience. What is the best way to achieve about 3 inches of lift to fit my 33's. I could go with a budget boost and then add a bl but wanted to see if there are any decent full sping lifts for around $300 that include just about everything I need for a basic lift. With this amount of lift would I need to extend brake lines, add sye, sway bar disconnects, and so forth? I don't even know what half of those do.

2001TJstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Trust me, if you are on a budget you don't want anything to do with a SYE. I just spent over $600 on my SYE/CV setup plus $200 for the longer rear ULCAs. RE sells a 2" BB for $240 I think. Comes with longer shocks which is important if you want to use it off road. You shouldn't need the SYE until you get around 3" of suspension lift, and even if you did, you could get a small t-case drop and see if that worked. As for the body lift which you will need to run 33's I would research it a lot and everything that you need to do to make it work, linkage brackets and so on. I haven't done a BL so I can't help you there.

My Build
TJ Tech Boot Camp
Stock TJ Specifications
What is a SYE/CV driveshaft and why do I want one?
242TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

$299 for the 2.5" Rough Country lift, add $55 for a MML so you don't have to use the transfer case drop kit. You'll like it, I clear 33's by using some bump stop and trimming the factory fender flares, flexes up really nice and rides good.
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Retread Tires - Buy Retread Tires, Cheap Tires, Off Road Tires, and Retreads Online ............................
31-10.50R15-GUARD-DOG-M-T - Retread Tires from TreadWright, Inc.
....Five tires Bought, Mailed ,Mounted and Balanced........... $500 .....TOTAL price.
No 33"s But their 31"s run an Inch big so they are more like 32"s which is big enough for a 4 popper.

Skyjacker Standard 2" Spacer Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec ... SkyJacker has best shocks in that price range and lift height. $261.99 plus tax
Can run this lift with no other mods... and can add a 3/4 spacer to front to level it out...... almost three inches... Rubicon Express RE1333 - Rubicon Express 3/4" Coil Spacers for 84-06 Jeep® Cherokee XJ, Grand Cherokee ZJ, Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec $30 try ebay for this stuff..

Jeep Homemade Swaybar Disconnects Home made disconects ...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...nects-1012161/ ..... Hands down best bang for the buck mod..about $20.. I did mine with 1/2" instead. I had to drill the sleeve out ... kind tough , to drill sleeve that is , Mod is easy ..

Basic Jeep Front End Alignment Free alignment Zip Zero Nada FREEEEE.

MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor Set $10

Single Action Strut Spring Compressor Or $40 helps with install...

So for about $860 ish you are set and will have a very capable rig..
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Opps??
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
kadbow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am very happy with the Rough Country 2.5", went on easy, I got a touch over 2.5" out of it, and it is affordable.
kadbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

RC 2.5" lift with 1" MML.Add some 3/4" front spacers for extra room.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001TJstudent View Post
With this amount of lift would I need to extend brake lines, add sye, sway bar disconnects, and so forth? I don't even know what half of those do.
Check locally for tire prices.I got 35x12.50 BFG KM2's from Campbell Equipment in Palmyra,Va for $185 each mounted and balanced.With a 3" lift or less,you don't need that stuff.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks. I actually had the rc lift on my wish list for the longest time. Now that someone actually brought it up makes me feel even happier. So no to the t-case dop. Why? and can add the 1" MML for about $100. All of that will fit 33's with 3.75 backspacing?
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
Retread Tires - Buy Retread Tires, Cheap Tires, Off Road Tires, and Retreads Online ............................
31-10.50R15-GUARD-DOG-M-T - Retread Tires from TreadWright, Inc.
....Five tires Bought, Mailed ,Mounted and Balanced........... $500 .....TOTAL price.
No 33"s But their 31"s run an Inch big so they are more like 32"s which is big enough for a 4 popper.

So for about $860 ish you are set and will have a very capable rig..
I would ather not go with the retreads. I looked into them a couple years ago and head VERY mixed reviews. If I'm going to spend that much money on something I'm making it reliable.
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Richierich1105
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I second the Rough country 2.5, i just put mine on about a month ago and love it, I spent 540 for the lift, performance steering stabilizer, MML, and BL, but i sold the bl, mml, to a friend cuz im running 32s, since ive got the 4 banger

Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-mobetta-1327147/[/url]
Richierich1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
rcharlier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just a few weeks ago I put in the Rubicon Express 2" budget lift kit. So far I'm very happy with it. The front is lower than the back, but I attribute that to the weight of the engine. Otherwise, the ride is fine on and offroad.

I didn't lower the transfer case, yet. I do have some vibration, but I'm not sure that it is because of the lift or not.

I did not change my sway bar disconnects (yet). The stock ones worked fine.

I didn't have to change the brake lines.

Really, everything that was necessary to get the Jeep back on (and off) the road was included in the kit.

Halfway through putting the kit it in, I wished that I would have bought a kit with longer springs instead of putting in those spring spacers. I had a terrible time getting the front bumpstops off. (I wouldn't have had to take the bumpstops off if I was just putting in new springs). I was on a budget, but I should have spent the extra couple hundred dollars on the Old Man Emu kit that included longer springs.

Second word of advice, I didn't expect that the kit wasn't going to come with a complete new set of bolts to be used all around. Check the inventory of whatever kit you have, and if you can, go to the auto parts store and replace all of the old bolts with new ones. (Just for piece of mind). It's cheap, should only add a couple of dollars to the total, if your kit doesn't already come with the replacement hardware.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by rcharlier; 08-10-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: (Forgot a few points)
rcharlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
TJ-Tim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
$299 for the 2.5" Rough Country lift, add $55 for a MML so you don't have to use the transfer case drop kit. You'll like it, I clear 33's by using some bump stop and trimming the factory fender flares, flexes up really nice and rides good.
I love my RC 2.5" lift, I have their Budget MML (no vibes in the least after that), RC 1.25" BL. Trimmed my flares and I am running 35's. I get great flex and only need 1" bump stop extension. But I plan to get metal cloaks so I wont need to.

idc what anyone says RC makes the best bang for your buck!

Unread 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 4 banger as well...I want the goodyear duratracs so I'm going with the 33's...they don't have them in 32's I think 31's just don't look right on a jeep...still look too small. Thanks!
Unread 08-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
RCXTREME

I might be biased but RC has the best bang for the buck.
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.