best 2-2.5in suspension lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best 2-2.5in suspension lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
shamrock111
2002 TJ Wrangler 

best 2-2.5in suspension lift

i have been looking to buy a small lift for my 2002 wrangler sport and would like input on which ones are awesome and which ones are bad
Thanks!
Tom

shamrock111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What do you want to do with the Jeep?

Offroad?

DD?

What type of on-road ride quality do you expect?

How long do you plan to keep it?

Will you ever want more lift?

How much do you expect to spend?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Stay away from the RC 2.5.

The best 2-2.5 inch lifts are either the OME 2.5 or the BDS 2 inch. I have the BDS and love it, rides great. The OME is nice too.
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

OME, Rancho, RCD, BDS. in that order.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
OME, RCD, BDS. in that order.
What's RCD again? I always forget.
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
RCD lift kits for Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Toyota

i keep thinking i was going to get the RC 2.5, but it seems like everyone on JF is split about that setup..

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
dont forget Rancho too.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
The best 2-2.5 inch lifts are either the OME 2.5 or the BDS 2 inch. I have the BDS and love it, rides great. The OME is nice too.
This .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd throw a 2" RE budget boost on and be done with it. No need to get fancy at that height.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnish View Post
I'd throw a 2" RE budget boost on and be done with it. No need to get fancy at that height.
I disagree:

1) The OEM springs sag rapidly with the spacer lift especially in the front because they overcompress because RE doesn't provide front bump stop extensions. By 40K miles my springs were sacked out.
2) The RE budget boost shocks suck the big one. As in, washboard roads make the back end of your Jeep dance all around, and your fillings vibrate out. You'll end up replacing them with BD or OME shocks (which handle washboard *much* better), so why not just go with the BD or OME lift in the first place?

The budget boost is better than nothing if you're not sure how much lift you're going to eventually put on and are intending to put on a real lift within the next 20,000 miles or so, but if you're sure you're going to stop at 2.5 and 33" tires (because, say, it's a daily driver, or because you don't want to mess up the extended warranty, or because you don't want a high-COG Jeep), I say go ahead and go with the OME or BD.
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
thisgardengrove
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Stay away from the RC 2.5.

What's wrong with the Rough country 2.5 lift?. i just purchased their 2.5 long arm kit and have heard good things about their product. Was recommended to me by a freind who is a avid offroader and builder
thisgardengrove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgardengrove View Post
What's wrong with the Rough country 2.5 lift?. i just purchased their 2.5 long arm kit and have heard good things about their product. Was recommended to me by a freind who is a avid offroader and builder
2.5 inch lift on long arms? Have fun with that in the rocks.
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I dont see anything wrong with the RC 2.5. But the 2.2 shocks are a bit on the stiff side.
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydog78 View Post
RCD lift kits for Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Toyota

i keep thinking i was going to get the RC 2.5, but it seems like everyone on JF is split about that setup..
As one who purchased (and then spent more to make it right) the RC 2.5" kit, I would choose another kit if I had it to do all over again.

The 2.2 shocks are way too stiff for a lightweight TJ. Swaybar disconnects are not included in the kit, so you will not get the amount of flex advertised in the kit unless you spend more to add them. A rear trackbar bracket isn't included, and is required if you want proper handling, bushing wear, and your axle centered under the Jeep. A front adjustable trackbar isn't included, and is required for the same reason as the rear trackbar bracket. The tcase drop included with the kit is the height of those intended for a 4" suspension lift, so you'll more than likely have just as many vibes after you add it as you did before if you don't cut the plastic pucks in half. A handful of washers 2-4 per skid bolt is the most common solution to eliminate vibes.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
thisgardengrove
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
As one who purchased (and then spent more to make it right) the RC 2.5" kit, I would choose another kit if I had it to do all over again.

The 2.2 shocks are way too stiff for a lightweight TJ. Swaybar disconnects are not included in the kit, so you will not get the amount of flex advertised in the kit unless you spend more to add them. A rear trackbar bracket isn't included, and is required if you want proper handling, bushing wear, and your axle centered under the Jeep. A front adjustable trackbar isn't included, and is required for the same reason as the rear trackbar bracket. The tcase drop included with the kit is the height of those intended for a 4" suspension lift, so you'll more than likely have just as many vibes after you add it as you did before if you don't cut the plastic pucks in half. A handful of washers 2-4 per skid bolt is the most common solution to eliminate vibes.

are you talking about the basic 2.5 kit or the long arm kit? and why would would it be a bad on the rocks? it doesn't take the arms much further past the stock locations. the long arm kit comes complete.
thisgardengrove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.