Bent differential is popping and grinding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bent differential is popping and grinding

Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
lemonsigmapi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bent differential is popping and grinding

I have a stock TJ 2000 sport dana 30 front axle. So I have had some popping and grinding from my front end after driving for 20 plus minutes. I took it to a shop where the guy said I had a bent front diff. He then tried to say he found a USED ONE FOR $1700 (yes seventeen hundred). The Jeep doesnt pull, vibrate or anything weird at all. I really think it is something else much more simple. Wouldnt I have other symptoms? Thanks

lemonsigmapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, first of all, people will practically pay YOU to get a TJ D30 with 3.07s out of their yard, so whatever you do, don't pay that clown $1700 for one.
Should be able to score one from CL for $100 maybe less.

It is pretty simple to install yourself also.

If the sound has you worried you should start looking on Craigslist for a replacement D30.

If it were me, I would drive it until it grenades, and then have the spare sitting there ready to swap in.

People here will tell you to get a cherokee hi pinion D30 as a swap. that is fine, it is an upgrade, but if you have no plans on going to bigger tires, with as cheap as they are, I would personally just always keep an extra factory D30 around to swap in.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundlitefan View Post
Well, first of all, people will practically pay YOU to get a TJ D30 with 3.07s out of their yard, so whatever you do, don't pay that clown $1700 for one.
Should be able to score one from CL for $100 maybe less.
This

You can do this job it isn't difficult. Just hand tools, breaker bar, PB blaster Jack stands, and a floor jack. One person job, extra hands are helpful. Should be able to do this in about a day.

post up if you need anything/have specific questions.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

I want some of whatever that guy was smoking... That d30 would need trusses, locked, loaded, hp, with chrome moly shafts to be MAYBE be worth half of what he was telling you... Do yourself a favor and never go back to that thief.

Take the advice of the other guys replying and just find a used one and spend an afternoon swapping it out.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundlitefan View Post
...If it were me, I would drive it until it grenades, and then have the spare sitting there ready to swap in...
Where do you plan on being when it "grenades"? Pulling out of your garage? Maybe in the Home Depot parking lot? How about ten miles from the trail head on a one way trail with eight other rigs behind you? How would you feel about it happening when you are doing 70 mph on the Interstate?

How are you going to drag that spare D30 around with you while you wait for your's to fail? Strap it to the roll cage? That could work in the summer but you'd probably need another option in the winter when the top goes back on.
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
pwcracer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Too bad you live so far away, I have my old dana 30 sitting in the driveway about to be hauled away for scrap.

For $1700 you could get a new Dana 44
pwcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Who pissed in your cornflakes mdm? You just love picking e-fights don't you?

I said if it were ME, that is what I would do. You go do whatever you would like to do.

I also offered the OP some useful advice, unlike you.
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What exactly are you getting for 1700? If he's buying the axle, regearing it to match, taking out the old one and putting it back in, I wouldn't say he's asking too much.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
What exactly are you getting for 1700? If he's buying the axle, regearing it to match, taking out the old one and putting it back in, I wouldn't say he's asking too much.
True, but why put $1700 worth of work into an axle that you can just replace for a lot less.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
True, but why put $1700 worth of work into an axle that you can just replace for a lot less.
I agree, you can do it for much cheaper. But all things considered, if you didn't know how to do it yourself that price isn't out of the ordinary.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You're right and no shop will buy a used axle and put ot on without going through it...

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
extsp2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i agree. if that were here in our shop we'd go through the diff with fluid, seals, most likely bearings and probably new ujoints in the axles. adding up parts, misc. and labor i don't think that's too bad of a price. but you can save a ton of money if you try it yourself.
extsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i agree. if that were here in our shop we'd go through the diff with fluid, seals, most likely bearings and probably new ujoints in the axles. adding up parts, misc. and labor i don't think that's too bad of a price. but you can save a ton of money if you try it yourself.
used D30 ~$100 (probably free, but for the sake of arguement)
D30 rebuild kit ~$125
2 new u-joints (if needed) ~$40
gear oil and RTV ~$20 (being generous here)

total parts = $285

$1700-$285 = $1415

You feel that $1400 is a reasonable labor cost to check out a D30 and replace the fluids and u-joints?

That is 20 hours labor if you charge $70/hour.

Is 20 hours labor for that reasonable?

Granted I have never rebuilt an axle, but you aren't even talking about setting up gears, just replacing bearings and u-joints.
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

For a point of reference:

Dana 44 Axle Assemblies

"Factory MOPAR Front Axle with OE Trac-Lok, & your choice of
gear ratio $1750.00" - Thats a Dana 44

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
extsp2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

it depends how deep they were going into the diff which we don't know. all we know is that he said a used diff for $1700. we don't know if that was just for the part or for the part and ring and pinion set, ball joints, ujoints, wheel bearings brake pads and rotors, etc.......i think we're all just assuming different scenarios without all the info.....don't even know the hourly rate of the shop....it can vary from $50 to $100 an hour......

i was thinking all of the above would be done for that money........
extsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
popping , grinding , axle , bent , replace , replacement , d30 , dana 30 , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.