Bent D30 Axle Housing...anyone else? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bent D30 Axle Housing...anyone else?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bent D30 Axle Housing...anyone else?

I found a hidden hole in a grassy trail a while back, which nearly removed my front axle for me. Yeah, ouch. Fortunately, I was able to drive it out and home. I repaired the mangled bracket and replaced a control arm, but am still realizing the other damage as I have time to look into it. Also bent the track bar.

Anyways, I need to fix it, so 2 questions:

1. Can a bent housing be straightened? The passenger side only.
2. What sort of damage can result from using it as-is? ...inside the differential, hub bearing?

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
Scafone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice signature, few greater truths have ever been told.

If you have to ditch the axle, consider a hp D30 from a cherokee.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I'm a bit of a fundamentalist. A God-fearing, USA-loving, gun-toting, right-wing fundamentalist.

Anyways, I think I'll be going for a junkyard replacement to keep the cost down if it comes to that.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
Unread 07-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ahhh, one of those guys.

Me too

I've never heard of anyone re-straightening an axle, but I surely wouldn't want a re-straightened axle on my Jeep when I'm 150 miles away in the middle of a forest!
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #5
ffej

Axle housings are straightened all the time. That said, like mentioned, an upgrade to the HP30 wouldn't be a bad idea (though it'll cost more than straightening your current axle, new gears, bearings and setup).
ffej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped
Ahhh, one of those guys.

Me too

I've never heard of anyone re-straightening an axle, but I surely wouldn't want a re-straightened axle on my Jeep when I'm 150 miles away in the middle of a forest!
You really need to go to a factory that makes axle shafts from scratch. After they heat treat them, the flanges have so much wobble to them that not one would ever be useable, that is until they put them in a press and straighten them out.

BTW- in order to re-straighten a housing, it has to have been straightened at least once already.
Unread 07-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't want a restraightened axle shaft either. I'm not even sure I want a restraightened housing. I'm only referring to the axle housing here...specifically the passenger side axle tube. I am assuming my shafts are ok, since the Jeep drives about the same as before, but is that even possible? Using a straight-edge, the pass. side axle tube is clearly curved up. I suppose I just need to open the diff, pull the axles and inspect. I'm about to start looking for a replacement, but just want to know how much damage it would do to drive it this way in the mean time. In case I end up with an empty housing, I don't want to trash the inners in this one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Unread 07-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scafone
I wouldn't want a restraightened axle shaft either. I'm not even sure I want a restraightened housing. I'm only referring to the axle housing here...specifically the passenger side axle tube. I am assuming my shafts are ok, since the Jeep drives about the same as before, but is that even possible? Using a straight-edge, the pass. side axle tube is clearly curved up. I suppose I just need to open the diff, pull the axles and inspect. I'm about to start looking for a replacement, but just want to know how much damage it would do to drive it this way in the mean time. In case I end up with an empty housing, I don't want to trash the inners in this one.
For the record, you are already driving on straightened axleshafts front and rear. But, the easiest way to find out if you are damaging anything is to look at the shaft where it exits the housing inside the knuckle. If it's not rubbing right there, it will be fine.

I've taken a lot of front ends apart from salvage yards and only one was bent enough from a wreck that I couldn't easily pull the shafts. That one clearly showed the axles rubbing on one side of the tube where it exited the housing.
Unread 07-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
For the record, you are already driving on straightened axleshafts front and rear. But, the easiest way to find out if you are damaging anything is to look at the shaft where it exits the housing inside the knuckle. If it's not rubbing right there, it will be fine.

I've taken a lot of front ends apart from salvage yards and only one was bent enough from a wreck that I couldn't easily pull the shafts. That one clearly showed the axles rubbing on one side of the tube where it exited the housing.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Looking quickly, I didn't see any rubbing at the outside, but I'll give'r a good inspection soon.
--Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.