Belt problem, blinker problem, and a random problem... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Belt problem, blinker problem, and a random problem...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Mike89db

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Belt problem, blinker problem, and a random problem...

Well everyone, after many months of trying to solve these problems I am exhausted. I have done searches on jeep forum as well, but I can not pin point the real solution to any of these. So, I will list them below (keep in mind, I have a 1997 2.5L)...

1. My belt has been squeaking for quite some time. I have replaced it 3 times now. I have tightened and loosened every belt to see if it would help, but it doesnt. I have also replaced the idler and "adjusting" pulley. I do have AC but the last belt I bought was shorter ( I basically "by-passed" the AC pulley) So, that isn't in use anymore. The squeakes used to be only after 10 minutes after starting it up, but now is lasts for a half hour or more.

2. My blinker problem is very complicated, but it only screws up half the time I am driving it. Sometimes, when I press on the brake, the right blinker light on the inside will turn on and stay on, as long as my foot is on the brake. At the same time, when I let off the brake, the rear right, rear left and and the spare light will all blink at the same time( that is when my RIGHT blinker is on). I've brushed every grounding bolt that has to do with the blinkers or headlights with a wire wheel and put copper anti-seize on every one.

3. The last problem is not pin pointed to any part of my jeep. It could be the muffler for all I know, but I highly doubt it. In every gear, at about 2100RPM's, something will vibrate. You would be able to hear it more than see it. I have noticed however that it seems to happen in colder weather

So, if any one has any advice, I would appreciate it very much if you could give your opinions. These problems have been bothering me for months lol.

IRO 3" lift (full 3.5" leafs/ 1" shackles), 3/4" and 1" coil spacers (stacked), RC control arm drop brackets Bilstein 5100's, AA SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft 32" KM2's.
Mike89db is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
riscal33
2000 TJ Wrangler 

As for the rattle, best thing to do is get under it and try to pinpoint the noise. It is common for the heat shield to vibrate but it could also be a broken muffler or cat. If it is the cat you may be able to have it replaced for free there was a recall on it I had mine done about a year ago for no charge
riscal33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

1. Pulley out of alignment or bad bearing on a pulley.
2. turn signal switch.
3. This will take a little more time to diagnose. Will it vibrate when you are sitting still and revving the engine to 2100rpms?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
TJaefick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When you replaced the belt, was it damaged in any way? If you've taken the AC, idler, and tension pulleys out of the question, then the remaining components are the Power Steering, Alternator, Water Pump, and Crank Shaft pulleys/bearings, or some completely different alignment issue. It's hard to isolate it by hand with the belt off, since you need the tension from the belt to ensure it really is bad bearings in one of those pulleys. Get your ear as close as possible to the belt line when it's sqeaking and you should at least be able to pinpoint one side or the other.

Intermittent electrical problems are the worst. You obviously have a short somewhere and with that many separate circuits involved, it seems it would be related to one of the few places where they all meet... the Steering Column. Check your blinker switch in the column first for frayed/lose wires. And when the problem is occurring, have you tried "beating on the column" or rapidly adjusting the tilt wheel (if app.)?

I'm not qualified to speak on this one, but if it is triggered at a specific rpm, regardless of speed, accel/decel, clutch in or out, etc., and if you can hear it more than feel it, just turn up the radio... they're supposed to make weird noises
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
BlazinJack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

1. does your jeep have a clutch fan? it could be that going bad. if not, like above you need to try and pinpoint with belts on to keep the tension on. could be anything belt driven, as they all have bearings in them. also, i once had a chevy 350 i rebuilt and it had a horrible screeching noise for about 10 min after start up. it ended up being the cam gear slightly rubbing on the timing chain cover, but it took weeks to diagnose!!
2. i agree with the above: its gotta be in the steering column. i dont know if you have a clock spring in your jeep, but those seem to cause a lot of strange electrical problems when they go out too (something else to look into)
3. im gonna say if the vibration is always at 2100 its gotta be in the engine or the clutch or input shaft of the trans. those are the only things that will be at 2100 rpm in every gear.
Colorado Jeep Club #145!!
Black Jeep Society
BlazinJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Before you tear your column apart check your light bulbs make sure the two little wires are not sagged .

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Mike89db

1999 XJ Cherokee 

When it comes to the belt, later today Im going to check this out. I think I'll use a pipe and put it as close as I can to each pulley with my ear on the other end (obviously). If I dont find anything out, I will come crying back to you guys lol.

As for the blinkers, I am going to "examine" the multi function switch in the steering column ( and probably check every bulb and their wires). Once again, if I come to a dead end, Ill let you guys know.

If I just rev the engine to 2100 RPM's it wont vibrate. I think it is somewhere in my drivetrain. I also agree that if I turn up my volume it should fix the problem lol. Unfortunately the feeling of a vibration is slightly their, and it annoys the he** out of me!

IRO 3" lift (full 3.5" leafs/ 1" shackles), 3/4" and 1" coil spacers (stacked), RC control arm drop brackets Bilstein 5100's, AA SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft 32" KM2's.
Unread 12-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Mike89db

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I found the problem to the squeaking belt. The adjuster pulley is crooked, there were washers behind it that didnt keep it straight somehow. Now I just gotta get some different washers and make sure its straight. Is there a certain washer that is supposed to be behind there?

One problem down, two to go!

Unread 12-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Mike89db

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I fixed the miss alighned pulley. Doesnt anyone think that if I Buy a new multi function switch, then the blinker problems might go away? I have banged on the steering column when the problem was occuring, so I am pretty sure there are no loose wires.

Unread 12-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When my turn signal switch went bad, there was no amt. of beating to make it do anything other than what it was doing.....so I changed it.
Oh and my problem was the hazzard flashers did not work in the rear and the right turn did not blink and making it blink manually got old quickly.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #11
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cycling the hazard switch on and off several times can sometimes clear problems with the switch. If you wished to "examine" the turn signal switch this might help...

Indicator/blinker not cancelling - switch repair write up. - JeepForum.com

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.