Been having the death wobble and already read through the forums - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Been having the death wobble and already read through the forums

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Willu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Been having the death wobble and already read through the forums

I know no one wants to read about the death wobble but i've tried a lot to try and stop it but have been getting strange results.

First i took it to a place and they said my tires were out of balance. They balanced them and the death wobble was lessened. When it started up again I took it to another place. They said it was the track bar so i paid for that and it didnt fix anything. I take it back to them and they replace the bushings in my control arms. The fix lasts for about a month then it starts up again. I take it to another place and they do the dry steer test and everything (yes i also did the test before i took it to places) the place said that it was my control arms. I buy metal cloak control arms, they install it and now my death wobble is worse than ever. They say that my tie rods are totally fine and i myself dont see any play either... Im wondering if my tires are to blame. Maybe out of round?

Since ive had the death wobble for almost 2 years i would assume that my tie rod ends are shot but like i said i see no play... So is there a way i can look at my tires to see if they're the problem?

Willu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
gmfcma
2002 TJ Wrangler 

do you have a buddy with the same bolt pattern?
if so see if he will put your tires on his and see if it follows
gmfcma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
Willu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ah thats a good idea. But just so we're clear if i were to buy the currie heavy duty steering it would not fix the problem if my tires were the culprit?
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Speedymcracer01

The tires are just the trigger to a death wobble. When you change tires it may seem to have fixed the problem when really all you did was take away the trigger that starts the death wobbles.DW's are in the suspention including everything from ball joints to your steering shaft from the steering wheel to the gear box.If all your suspention/steering components are fine you could just be having speed wobbles from tires that are out of round,MY tires don't usually trigger my DW until I've done had them awhile and they have snapped bands in them "causing the dimples on the side walls"
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Try this temporary cure: drop your tire pressure to 15-20 lbs until you figure it out. This has worked for me and other friends and it won't cost you a cent.
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did you also try rotating your tires, fronts to rears?

I know tires are not the ultimate cause of DW, but if you can reduce the number of times you get DW your suspension components will last longer while you try to figure out what's causing it.

The Currie HD steering MAY fix your DW, but only if your old steering was the problem.

It sounds to me like your problem is with the axle-side upper control arm bushings (same problem I have). When the first shop replaced your bushings, they probably didn't touch these, as they are on the axle itself and are a PITA to replace. The new other bushings effectively masked the problem until they broke in a little bit. When you switched to aftermarket CAs (which, I believe, have poly bushings instead of rubber), that actually enhanced the problem (again, the axle-side uppers were not replaced as they are not attached to the CAs).
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #7
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good points about the uppers...if the axle side booshings weren't replaced, then you're not done yet.

I assume they checked the hubs and ball joints, as it seems they were thorough. Let me ask you this, are you suspension lifted? If so, is your front axle centered by means of an adjustable track bar or relocated mounting?
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Willu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yea i have 4 1/2 inches of lift right now and my UCAs are stock... I did have an adjustable track bar but a shop took it off because they said it had some play in it. I have it with me and there is a little crack in the bushing so i guess thats what they were talking about. The adjustable track bar is BDs so they said that i cant get a replacement bushing for it. So at a temporary fix they gave me a ome track bar which i have right now
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willu View Post
Yea i have 4 1/2 inches of lift right now and my UCAs are stock... I did have an adjustable track bar but a shop took it off because they said it had some play in it. I have it with me and there is a little crack in the bushing so i guess thats what they were talking about. The adjustable track bar is BDs so they said that i cant get a replacement bushing for it. So at a temporary fix they gave me a ome track bar which i have right now
well I had a thought process going, but I think I'm going to step back on it, as I continue to become enlightened on the wobbz and am still doing some additional testing myself to learn more about it.

Off the cuff, I'd say if the new lower arms made a noticeable improvement, but it came back, and the uppers are factory installed, then that would be a good place to start.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Willu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My birthday is coming which means that some money is coming my way sooooo... i should look into just changing the bushings in the control arms first? I wana try my tires on someone elses jeep but i dont have too many jeep friends here yet
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
tj120
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i had death wobble a few years back. the first time it was just the fact that the front tires were toed in 3/4 of an inch. the second time about a year later my steering stabilizer went bad and that was the only cause. im running a custom 6 inch long arm that i built myself in my shop and its always been smooth down the road other than those two times. to bad you are so far away, i would offer to look at it for you. i own a repair shop in pa so im not much help.
tj120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.