Bedliner Help Please, 02 Tj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bedliner Help Please, 02 Tj

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
jooosooo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bedliner Help Please, 02 Tj

Well I had searched the forum's in reguards to the application of a bedliner, and everyone else has somthing different to say. I went to autozone, and they offered 2 products. The Herculiner, and the Duplicolor Gallon/roller-brush kit... Now I would have no problem paying a bit extra for the herculiner, but the can is extremely small and at 80$ I'm wondering if the small can of Herculiner will sufficiently paint my entire tub... Here is a link of the product I had purchased http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html I bought the gallon of the paint and the roller kit, but I want to do this once, and I can't see how this product will not prove to be tough enough if I spend a vast amount of time preping it... HELP PLEASE.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HERCU...spagenameZWDVW
I'm assuming the small canister is mixed with another solution I'm gonna read up a bit more to varify Thanks

jooosooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I spent nearly 2 years researching this subject. I looked at many trucks/Jeeps over this period of time. What I found, here in Texas anyway is that after some time those products you mentioned looked very bad as time went on. Sure they looked good at first but shortly thereafter the stuff was fading and peeling off. The ones that were done by pros looked better than the ones that were done by the individuals. For me if you are going to do it you might as well do it right. After all, once you lay that stuff down itís there for good. You have to look at it everyday good or bad. I picked Line-X. Iím glad I did, 3 years later it still looks new. Though it costs more, it looks like it came from the factory that way. Worth it to me.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
CapnDik
2008 JK Wrangler 

Line-X will definitely be the best way to go. however, it's also the most expensive. Here in northern Virginia, I was quoted $500 for my Wrangler, and that was with me removing everything except the driver's seat.

I'm going to be lining my camping trailer sometime soon. I think I'm going to use a do-it-yourself, catalyzed, spray-in liner.

Unlike the roll/brush on varieties, they come as a 2-part compound that catalyzes once mixed. From the reviews that I've read, they are much more durable than Rhino and Durabak, and much cheaper than Line-X.

If it looks good on the trailer, I'll do the same in the Jeep tub.

$50 kit that should do a truck bed. (2 kits for heavy coats):
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...iProductID=260

$35 Gun needed to apply:
http://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/BDP/7402

Oh, and you NEED a respirator!!! Don't line your lungs!!! (gloves and sleeves would be a good idea too)
Unread 05-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just did the Duplicolor truck bed lining kit from Advance Auto about a week ago. The stuff worked great for what I wanted.

I had some small rust spots starting to form that I wanted to take care of, so while sanding down the interior with 220 grit sandpaper, I got rid of all the surface rust and treated the areas.

Then I just washed everything down with soapy water, dried it real good, and put down two thick layers on. To tell you the truth, you will rarely use the roller ... I used the brush on about 90% of the job. Just too many small/curved areas on a TJ.

It turned out great, though. Nice uniform, black texture I was looking for, but not sand paper-like that can take your skin off if you rub up against it.

I like it--it was perfect for me.

I'd post pics but my computer is literally dying. Look for a thread from me in a week or so for my pictures.

~J
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

your ebay link for the herculiner is for the 1 gallon kit inside the box plus the 1 quart container outside of the box.

I only used the 1 gallon kit and didn't even use all of it and did 3-4 coats in the front and rear footwells and about 5 coats on the 'bed' and 2 in other places.

jb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
jooosooo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

the herculiner seems to hard plasticy with a course texture
Unread 05-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
jooosooo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

anyone have pics of a duplicolor bedliner ?
Unread 05-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
FG Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i've used herculiner roll on on quite a few vehicles. they always come out nice and last well since i've done them. The key is prep work. Make sure you do really good prep work as it makes or breaks the job. I sanded the whole area then cleaned it real well, fixed any rust if there was any and then applied the product. I normally allow a whole weekend to do it right. Also if you can take your top off for a few days because the stuff stinks bad even after its cured. It took close to a week in the xj and my brothers tahoe to get the stink to go away.
FG Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In north central Fl. I got quoted $350 for line-x with me removing all the interior except the driver seat and shifter (the shop will remove that). I think its a pretty good deal.

Matter of fact, the same shop quoted my friend $450 to do his truck bed -- go figure
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have used both Duplicolor and Herculiner. The Duplicolor does not last. After a few years it started chipping and peeling off. The Herc. I used around the same time (2003) still looks like new. Some people do not like the rough texture of Herc., but what are you doing rubbing your face on the floor of your Jeep for anyway? I do keep the rear wheel well covering carpet in mine though just for the comfort of my back set passengers.

IMO the Duplicolor may be a smoother finish, but if thats what you want go get in LineXed. The Herc is as strong as LineX if you prep right, but it is a course finish.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG Jeep View Post
i've used herculiner roll on on quite a few vehicles. they always come out nice and last well since i've done them. The key is prep work. Make sure you do really good prep work as it makes or breaks the job. I sanded the whole area then cleaned it real well, fixed any rust if there was any and then applied the product. I normally allow a whole weekend to do it right. Also if you can take your top off for a few days because the stuff stinks bad even after its cured. It took close to a week in the xj and my brothers tahoe to get the stink to go away.
agreed. I ended up using a bunch of different size sanding wheels and air tools as the little pad they include with the kit isn't enough ....

jb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
jooosooo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

wow so i should prep it to that extent I mean i have no problem doing that because I want it to last, the Herc I saw was 80$ but all I saw was a little wax canister size can maybe there was a box with a gallon cause for 20$ more I'll def get the Herc
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #13
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When you apply the bed liner, do you just spray/paint over the body plugs? or take them out?

I'm assuming you taped all the carpet snaps as well? I'm looking at doing this in the next few months and am concerned about how everything in the interior will fit after the bedliner is put in.
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
billbanshee

i think im gonna use duplicolor my bro did his bumpers with it almost 2 yrs ago and it still looks good i cant stand the sand paper like texture of herc and everything else costs way more than im willing to spend
warn 9000i
billbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
BJ5781
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did the Herculiner about a month ago and love it! I get tons of compliments on it and was pretty easy to use. It is a little on the gritty side so if you don't like that stay away. Personally I really like the texture but to each his own.
BJ5781 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.