TO Bearing Replaced - Grinding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TO Bearing Replaced - Grinding

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 06-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
tghansen

TO Bearing Replaced - Grinding

Hi all. I searched for a while to find a solution, but nothing answers my questions, so here goes.

My TO Bearing was clearly toast (based on the noise it was making when the clutch was depressed), and I decided to do the job myself. All proceeded well (with the exception of the pilot bearing removal... finally decided that even though one came in the kit I bought, the one that was installed is in good enough shape to leave), and the jeep is now back together. Here's the problem:

On the first test drive after the job, there is some obvious play in the clutch, and if I feather the clutch, there is a point where something feels (via the foot pedal) like it's clunking around or grinding. These were the instructions I followed:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/clutch.html
and they seemed like good ones. What am I missing? [Please, oh please tell me that I didn't forget something inside the bell casing!!!] Any ideas what would cause this noise/feeling? It's not normal.

Thanks!

tghansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
tghansen

From this page : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...inding-759768/ It seems that when my T/O bearing blew, it took out the sleave also. I didn't realize it because there was nothing resembling a broken sleave left inside the case. I do remember that when I replaced the TO bearing I was surprised to see that it slipped onto the shaft with a lot of clearance. I'm pretty sure that's my issue.

I'll post back when I'm positive.
tghansen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.