To beadlock or not to beadlock...that is the question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To beadlock or not to beadlock...that is the question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrama View Post
It will be a problem running anything below 10...ask me how I know
depends on the tire you run. stiffer sidewalls of a bias tire, like a swapmer, 7psi is fine on a wrangler. average cheap 2ply radial, ya 10 is about as low as you wanna go. a newer 3 ply radial might be able to squeeze 8 psi and be safe.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
We run all manner of beadlocks perfectly balanced and true on the street with no need for trailers whatsoever.

Lots of steel rims out there aren't round and no amount of balancing or weight will fix that.
You have a valid point. But they are much harder to balance and not all places will do it. Just more bringing up the point they are harder to balance. Most of my problem is my tires are not worn well.
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
depends on the tire you run. stiffer sidewalls of a bias tire, like a swapmer, 7psi is fine on a wrangler. average cheap 2ply radial, ya 10 is about as low as you wanna go. a newer 3 ply radial might be able to squeeze 8 psi and be safe.
Yep depends on what your running, my MTR Ks on a 8" rim at about 8 PSI will give up a bead now and then.... which is too often for my liking. There is a very noticeable traction gain at anything below 10 psi

I think the OP should get beadlocks and forget about lockers for now and see how things go.
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep depends on what your running, my MTR Ks on a 8" rim at about 8 PSI will give up a bead now and then.... which is too often for my liking. There is a very noticeable traction gain at anything below 10 psi

I think the OP should get beadlocks and forget about lockers for now and see how things go.
you mean simulated beadlocks? If you meant locker as in the axle, I have one....you weren't quite clear in my eyes
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What police officer would pull you over and ticket you for having bead lock rims??? It would be the last thing on my mind even if it was technically illegal.
No cop would know the difference.They won't pass state inspections in states like mine that have them.You would need to swap them out for yearly state inspections to pass.Va is a B!tch!
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder05 View Post
You have a valid point. But they are much harder to balance and not all places will do it. Just more bringing up the point they are harder to balance. Most of my problem is my tires are not worn well.
We balance the aluminum versions quite frequently as in not the same set, but multiple sets. They are no harder or easier than a normal rim. In fact most of them balance easier because you can have them do a dynamic balance and put sticky weights right inside the lock ring.
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I love my Allied beadlocks. I run them up to 75 on chunked up 35s. I put a pint glass of Airsoft pellets in each one.

It passed MO state inspection with no problems at all. After a year in the rocks the steel ring was beat up pretty good, and I didnt like the rust. So I swapped them out for the aluminum rings and am even happier. It is nice to run 6 psi without worries.

Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
They're not legal on the street in Va.Check your state laws before you spend the money.
Do you have a link to that law? I've got beadlocks in VA and they have passed inspection and haven't been an issue at all.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.