To beadlock or not to beadlock...that is the question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To beadlock or not to beadlock...that is the question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

To beadlock or not to beadlock...that is the question

I know this would be more appropriate in the wheel and tire section, but people rarely visit that section and I'm looking to buy very soon. I did search too but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

As you can see my work of art (or should I say work of shart) is sitting on stands waiting for some new love. (Ignore anything you might see suspension wise).

Since I am giving my Jeep good love (at least my interpretation), I'd like to try and stick to the buy once sting once theory. I have two wheels that I like (both made in the USA) but am a bit torn for functionality. I'd like to get a set of Allied Beadlock Black Rock 8's as can be seen here(true beadlock):

I am also looking at the less functional, yet still pleasing to the eye Black Rock 905's as seen here (simulated beadlock):

The price difference between the two doesn't matter. I am curious if it would be smart to run a true beadlock vs. a simulated beadlock with the trail time it will see. I am wrapping them with 33x12.50R15 Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar. Trail time will not be hardcore or as often as I'd like. I will use this as a daily spring to fall driver, although not required...but hey, let's face it, I will.

Do the TRUE beadlocks require to much maintenance for what I would call a DD? I will probably make a lot of trips to the trails (rocks) but as much as I hate to say it, the majority of the time will be on asphalt.

I am open to your thoughts.

Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

you probabaly don't need true beadlocks unless you wheel with Big tires and very low pressures. I'd imagine its over kill unless you have onboard air etc, because you probabaly wont be airing down that low. Tho Overkill is the way of the jeep and beadlocks are nice on rocks, so I'm not much help here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some advice that was given to me...
If you have to ask if you need something or not, you don't need it.
You will KNOW when you need it
wesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

True beadlock wheels are not DOT approved around.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greene69 View Post
No rim is dot approved . Rims don't need to be dot compliant to be road legal.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
SSAdrenaline
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Beadlocks are not legal for the road in some places like where I come from. Canada
It might be the same for certain places in the states.
SSAdrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

They're not legal on the street in Va.Check your state laws before you spend the money.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

beadlocks are nice, but not necessary. i personally would only buy double bead locks, you can still burp air form the back side bead.
on my buggy i have 42" iroks on 8" wide steel wheels. i used roof flashing tar on the beads. i run 4psi in them they never burp.
run a skinny wheel(7 "or 8"), and seal the beads with some type of adhesive. you will be fine.

i have run 7psi, on stock gamblers, with no adhesive, with 33" tsl's, on my first jeep without issue.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What police officer would pull you over and ticket you for having bead lock rims??? It would be the last thing on my mind even if it was technically illegal.

I have heard beadlocks make a world of difference offroad, about the same as throwing some lockers in your axles and I have heard this from some very experienced and knowledgeable wheelers. However I have never run them.
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greene69 View Post
No wheel used on any vehicle on any highway or street in the US is DOT approved.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same wheels and run 37 iroks and they took a ton of weights and still shake. If you want bead locks be prepared to NEED a trailer
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder05 View Post
I have the same wheels and run 37 iroks and they took a ton of weights and still shake. If you want bead locks be prepared to NEED a trailer
We run all manner of beadlocks perfectly balanced and true on the street with no need for trailers whatsoever.

Lots of steel rims out there aren't round and no amount of balancing or weight will fix that.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
NY_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run an 8" rim with 33x12.5" Kevlar MTR's as well. I've aired down to 5psi many many times (snow wheeling) without knocking a bead off. My normal offroad pressure is ~10psi in all conditions (except on the tar) and have had no issue's except mud getting in the bead. I also don't have any sealer on the bead.
NY_Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

with the extra stiffness of the Goodyear Wrangler MTR, I figure I might not a problem however, I was just trying to prepare for the future but my guess is by that time I will have decided to move up to 35s anyway. Thanks everyone for your help!
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosejockey61 View Post
with the extra stiffness of the Goodyear Wrangler MTR, I figure I might not a problem however, I was just trying to prepare for the future but my guess is by that time I will have decided to move up to 35s anyway. Thanks everyone for your help!
It will be a problem running anything below 10...ask me how I know
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.