Is the battery going? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is the battery going?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is the battery going?

When I try to start the Jeep with the clutch fully engaged and try to crank it, nothing happens(almost like a dead battery). But, if I crank the key and hold it fully turned then slowly press the clutch in, when it gets to a certain spot it will crank over.

I have never heard of this, is this just the battery going or is this another problem?

Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
srwilson8074
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a safety switch on the clutch linkage? You might have to clean it and put some dielectriuc grease on connection after you clean it. Hopefully this helps
srwilson8074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check your owners manual, on my 98 there is a fuse you can put in to bypass the clutch safety switch "for off road use only". I've had the fuse in since I bought it a couple of years ago.
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea you got a bad clutch saftey switch, replace it, bypass it or do the fuse trick.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
srwilson8074
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would really consider replacing unit, by passing this safety feature could bit you in the butt if you ever get into an accident. A buddy of mine did the same thing and got into a bender in the parking lot and insurance denied claim for altering safety features, Insurance companies suck
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwilson8074 View Post
I would really consider replacing unit, by passing this safety feature could bit you in the butt if you ever get into an accident. A buddy of mine did the same thing and got into a bender in the parking lot and insurance denied claim for altering safety features, Insurance companies suck
I can see that happening if they found out. I'm going to look at what srwilson said and check it out and clean it, then replace if it need be

Thanks for the help everyone
Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , clutch safety switch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.