Battery is fine but engine will not crank. had to roll it back in forth then try... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Battery is fine but engine will not crank. had to roll it back in forth then try...

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Mitchin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Battery is fine but engine will not crank. had to roll it back in forth then try...

well it only turned over after i rolled her back and forth. the battery seems fine. its been actin up for a while but then last night it just didnt start at all!?

NIGHT CREW #16
Yellow Jeep Club #67

My Build Thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...-sport-973277/
Mitchin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Starter?

Check for power to the starter with the key in the start position. If you have power, then I would say you need a new starter.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are you rocking it in gear?

Sounds like you have a starter and/or flywheel ring gear problem.
Unread 11-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Mitchin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

well then i just went out to start it and it worked wtf!? no wheni rocked it it was out of gear. yeah i had full power it just would not start last night.
NIGHT CREW #16
Yellow Jeep Club #67

Unread 11-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How do you know you had "full power"? You need to check for power at the starter. Otherwise it could be a lot of other things causing a lack of either supply voltage or start signal to the starter. You need to check that the starter is getting proper supply and signal with the key in the start position.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Edstu234
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like a starter problem or cable that leads to the starter. There are contact points on the start just like on the battery. Check those and tap (Not Smack) the side of the starter with a hammer. The starter might have binded up.
Edstu234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Kinless
2012 JK Wrangler 

There is a common problem with mopar starters in the washer / fork contact by the starter solenoid ( sorry my spelling and technical description suck but I know what I am trying to describe LOL ). Replace this washer when you find you have to click the ignition a few times to get starter to engage as opposed to buying a new starter.
Kinless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
MUDDYSAHARA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if its your starter, it'll happen again, you just have to wait and see. or it magically fixed itself like they are prone to do.
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Before getting too deep here, start off with the simplest of basics and go from there... you need to first remove both battery cables and clean them and the battery posts with a wire brush. IF the battery is good like you claim it is, the usual cause for this problem is nothing more than a bad battery connection.

Don't just look at the battery connectors and pronounce them ok either, you really need to remove and clean them with a wire brush and reconnect them solidly before suspecting anything more complex or more expensive.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Before getting too deep here, start off with the simplest of basics and go from there... you need to first remove both battery cables and clean them and the battery posts with a wire brush. IF the battery is good like you claim it is, the usual cause for this problem is nothing more than a bad battery connection.

Don't just look at the battery connectors and pronounce them ok either, you really need to remove and clean them with a wire brush and reconnect them solidly before suspecting anything more complex or more expensive.

My TJ and esp the Grand I had were real picky about this. Clean connections and make sure they are tight.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
mrcarcrazy
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post

and visually inspect the cables themselves. if the insulation looks old/rotten, or you can see rusted wires replace the cables.

I'm with Jerry on this one, the intermittentness of the problem screams connection issue somewhere.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Mitchin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ill check tomorrow but the battery was replaced at jeep a month ago cause the old one had a dead cell.
NIGHT CREW #16
Yellow Jeep Club #67

Unread 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
AER2007
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...g-read-853439/

[QUOTE=ageorgakis;8342820]No, I wasn't being comical. I'm being perfectly honest. I don't have any dyno tests. But you can FEEL the difference![/QUOTE]
AER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.