battery died - got jumped, it started and now stalls when at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > battery died - got jumped, it started and now stalls when at idle

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
dme44
2003 TJ Wrangler 

battery died - got jumped, it started and now stalls when at idle

OK, it may just be the battery, but I did do a full recharge.

I have my fuse out of the warning beep for my interior lights and this also controls the warning for headlights (not a smart thing on my part).

I left the lights on drained the battery, got a jump and it started right up. Now it runs fine except it stalls while waiting at a light/stop sign or when ever it is just in idle mode. It starts right back up again.

Any other ideas? I do not think jumping it would have fried anything.

Thanks
Dave

dme44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It just needs to relearn after charging the battery, Start it up and hold the accelerator pedal down slightly (Like 900-1000 RPM's) after a little while let off it should idle,If your throttle body is really dirty pick up a can of Air Intake Cleaner (Aerosol) & use a old tooth brush & clean the throttle body
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
jpittman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's probably the IAC (Idle Air Control). I had the same thing happen 4 days ago. The throttle body was dirty and the IAC "slot" is in there. I didn't know exactly what it was so took it to the dealer since it could be several things wrong and I didn't want to chase and install parts. They cleaned the throttle body and that fixed it. It won't idle because the IAC lost it's memory. When that happens idle it around 1000rpms and it will relearn what it's suppose to do.

See the diagram in this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...unning-921334/
jpittman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
toberste
2004 TJ Wrangler 

happened to my friends. just hold it at around 2000rpm for about 5 minutes i cant tell you why but that's what fixed his
toberste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This happened to me. I left the dome light on overnight, and it was stone dead in the morning. I was able to jump it to get it started again, but as you noted, I had to keep the RPM up for about half of my drive to work (about 10 minutes) or else it would try to stall again. By the time I pulled into the parking lot at work, it seemed to be working normally. When I went to go home at the end of the day, it would not start at all, despite plenty of charge, and many repeated attempts. It was throwing a code, so I called the service dept. at the Jeep dealer and had them look it up (I carry a xerox of all the error codes now), and it turned out to be my old friend, the camshaft position sensor. I decided to make another attempt at starting it, and to my surprise it started, but once I got it home I did not try to drive it again until I changed out that sensor.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you recharged the battery? When a battery is discharged the alternator won't adequately recharge it. Put the battery on a charger. Once the battery has a proper charge on it, have it load tested.

With our "electronic" vehicles, the first step in just about any electrical trouble shooting is to check the condition of the battery.
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
dme44
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks....

I tried the easiest suggestion and it worked. Started it and put a case of soda on the gas peddle to keep the idle around 2000. Worked perfect, no more issues.

Thanks a lot for the assistance.
dme44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Happened to me also - left the lights on w/ the fuse removed.

The battery would not charge after being jumped. Put it on a trickle charge for 24 hours and was good to go again. But it would stall and idle rough for a while. Also, the engine did not want to start one time: cranked and cranked and cranked. When it finally started it felt like it was an old carb'd rig as it was flooded and needed to be cleared through. After a day or so of this weird behavoir the Jeep settled down to normal.

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.