battery dead ....argh... dual battery setup???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > battery dead ....argh... dual battery setup????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-14-2003, 07:53 AM   #1
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

battery dead ....argh... dual battery setup????

AND NO THE ZJ LIFT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BATTERY BEING DEAD!!!!

j/k LOL i had to do it......

anyways once again battery died on the jeep starndign me at my apartment with nothing but my motorcycle to ride

anyways have been toying with the idea of a dual battery setup for awhile, anyone done this on their tj? i think i spy a second battery tray up near the firwall on the drivers side, any of you all every wire one up? what did you do witht he canister that sits there?

diagrams for wiring? etc?

thanks

Aaron

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM
asjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:02 AM   #2
Owen

I would get at least one optima battery...Do you have a winch? Why do you need dual batteries?
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:24 AM   #3
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

well the winch will be forthcoming (by the end of the summer i hope...)

but i am so tired of leaving my stereo on for an hour (maybe a little more than that ) and having a dead battery... was thinking if i am going to add a battery may as well add one, and have twice the operating time you know? besides would be handy with the winch

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
Owen

Quote:
Originally posted by asjeep
well the winch will be forthcoming (by the end of the summer i hope...)

but i am so tired of leaving my stereo on for an hour (maybe a little more than that ) and having a dead battery... was thinking if i am going to add a battery may as well add one, and have twice the operating time you know? besides would be handy with the winch
Dude you can run a radio for days on the yellowtop and you will only really need one for the winch too...I would get one yellowtop for now..you can always upgrade to another battery if need be...
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:44 AM   #5
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i wals also thinking those zj coils would use up some extra battery as well, sorry owen , just kiddign around lol whats new? i saw your thread jacking the other day....... loved it

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:58 AM   #6
Owen

I am a thread terrorist..But I also try to be very helpful when I can...Laughing about your problems always helps IMO...
Unread 05-14-2003, 09:39 AM   #7
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

absoluteley, i am shocked that noone has responded and told me what they did to move the canister though.... just havent decided where to put it..........

i know eventually i want a dual battery system... and that location looks perfect....

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM

Last edited by asjeep; 05-15-2003 at 04:04 PM..
Unread 05-14-2003, 09:49 AM   #8
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I agree, go with a yellow top first. But I also think getting a higher amp alternator would do you some good. If your alternator can't keep up with charging your battery, two batterys will just die after twice as long.

If you end up getting a second battery, regardless of where you put it I recommend the isolator/combiner from Hellroaring.com. I had one on my Bronco and is was fantastic. Much better & safer than the homebrew deals....

And don't mind Owen, he's just trying to catch back up to me in the pad...uh I mean post count

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 10:01 AM   #9
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

my alternator is fine, the main problem i have is levaing lights on, or the alarm driaing the batetry all ngiht, and the stereo runnign.. etc lol

if i put in about 15 batteriies i think i could leave my lights on all night

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM
Unread 05-14-2003, 10:06 AM   #10
Owen

Quote:
my alternator is fine, the main problem i have is levaing lights on, or the alarm driaing the batetry all ngiht, and the stereo runnign.. etc lol

if i put in about 15 batteriies i think i could leave my lights on all night
I am tellign you...You will be amazed how long the yellowtop will go before it dies...Get one and I almost guaranteee you will be shocked. We run my roomates radio on for hours while wrenching on my jeep and he never has any issues. He left his lights on over night the other day and it was fine also
Unread 05-14-2003, 10:10 AM   #11
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i definetely will have to do that, if ig et one, can i use my old battery as the second one though? for temporary use? is that abad idea? i mean why throuw out a good batter (it's ntot the best but it usually starts the jeep if i havent drained the batt 1st lol)

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM
Unread 05-14-2003, 10:38 AM   #12
Owen

Quote:
i definetely will have to do that, if ig et one, can i use my old battery as the second one though? for temporary use? is that abad idea? i mean why throuw out a good batter (it's ntot the best but it usually starts the jeep if i havent drained the batt 1st lol)
sure..my point is that you won't need it..at all..throw it in the garage as a spare.
Unread 05-14-2003, 10:44 AM   #13
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what garage? i have a garage? where i need it

lol i store everything in my apartment or my jeep lol... now to get a welder too

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM

Last edited by asjeep; 05-14-2003 at 11:01 AM..
Unread 05-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Aside from the expense and trouble to get two batteries working together in a Jeep, there's really no drawbacks to having them. On the other hand, are two batteries really needed if the alternator and single battery are in good condition and rated highly enough?

I've done some serious winching with my single Optima Yellow Top battery and it has held up well for 4 1/2 years now. So while I can see where two batteries would be better than one, I've yet to have my single battery give me any problems while winching. That said, I wouldn't turn down an offer of a dual-battery setup.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #15
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Duals are coolz

I ran two redtop optimas and an Orion Wired MBR 70 multiple battery regulator. Worked Great! I of course had a winch, stereo, heavy duty lights, etc.... This was a much better setup than most dual batteries because it regulates power between two batteries keeping both charged FULLY even when heavy duty use is in progress (no need for a heavy duty alternator). As for keeping the vehicle on Acc to listen to radio, it allowed you two batteries to drain. If you want two, have room, and a little extra cheese in the wallet two batteries are cool. The other guys are right about the yellow top though.

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/

Last edited by bbusch; 05-14-2003 at 07:07 PM..
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.