Basic day-to-day maintenance question (newbie) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic day-to-day maintenance question (newbie)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-29-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
drunkinjacket

Basic day-to-day maintenance question (newbie)

Just got to the point I'm able to do much of the monthly maintenance on my 2001 sport myself, but am new to it. Been doing the oil change, filter change for awhile, but there are other things I'd like to start doing. If anyone has some step by steps, or knows a site with some pictures, I'd like to know

How to drain and fill the front and rear axles (how often should this be done, what tools should you use, what should you fill it back up with?)

How, and with what do you lubricate steering and suspension ball joints

How, and with what do you lubricate the tie rods.

I know most of these may sound dumb, but my last car was a Honda, and wasn't worth working on. My Jeep I really want to take good care of, and want to know how much I can feasibly do in my garage, and how to do it.

Thanks

drunkinjacket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There isn't much to it really. Buy a set of jack stands (the taller the better), a floor jack and a grease gun. Along with the grease gun, you'll need a flexable hose and a head with a 90 degree angle to reach most of the fittings easily.

I use Mobile 1 motor oil and change it every 5,000 miles. At the same time, I also rotate the tires and lubricate the steering links.

For other maintanence write-ups, check:
www.stu-offroad.com
www.4x4xplor.com
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
drunkinjacket

thanks, and one more thing

when you rotate, do you balance as well? Is there anything you can buy that will help you with that. Not sure it's really necessary, as speed is not what the wrangler is built for, but would like to keep the wear on the tires as even as possible.

above and beyond the oil change, filter changes and greasing, is there any other "recommended" weekly, or monthly maintenance? Just curious, and is the how to covered on the sites you listed.

Thanks,
Unread 07-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
htownjeep
What's that noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinjacket
when you rotate, do you balance as well? Is there anything you can buy that will help you with that. Not sure it's really necessary, as speed is not what the wrangler is built for, but would like to keep the wear on the tires as even as possible.

above and beyond the oil change, filter changes and greasing, is there any other "recommended" weekly, or monthly maintenance? Just curious, and is the how to covered on the sites you listed.

Thanks,
Stu's site is my personal favorite. He has not only how-to's, he also has tons of digital camera pics to go along with it. I've even e-mailed him a few times and he's yet to be stumped by me on anything!
Unread 07-30-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Get yourself a FSM (Factory Service Manual). And remember - don't pump too much grease thru those fittings or you'll pop the seals.
04JeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
drunkinjacket

don't want to pop anything....

so, basically just pump enough through that it begins to seep out, or would one good squeeze do it? Would it only pop if you continue to pump greese in well after it's had a sufficient amount?
Unread 07-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

don't let it seep out. pump until it's firm. you'll need to use your hand and pinch the seal to tell when to stop.

actually it probably doesn't matter if it starts to seep out because you've got a ton of lube in there anyway and it's probably alright if you check the seals everytime you change your oil or after you go thru water off-roading.
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:09 AM   #8
drunkinjacket

Question: Important

the "fill bolt" that, on the front, is what appears to be a drainage bolt, right. On the rear axle its a rubber plug. My question is, what is the hose running up to the engine block. comes up from the front axle, and runs up (as your facing the engine with knees at the front bumper) to the right of the radiator? Just curious. Is this a fill point, too.

Last edited by drunkinjacket; 07-31-2004 at 04:27 PM..
Unread 07-31-2004, 05:10 PM   #9
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

That hose is the vent hose for your front axle. Your tranny and rear axle prolly also have one.

The front you have is a dana 30 and it has a square 3/8" bolt. You should remove the diff cover slowly to drain, then remove the cover, scrape the RTV off, clean everything, put RTV on, put the cover back on with the bolt out and fill. There is a few writeups - check out the FAQ's. The rear diff is the same except if you have trak-lok you need to add about 4 oz of "friction modifier". Don't forget to do the tranny + transfer case they're really easy. The transfer case has 2 bolts - one to drain, one to fill. Make sure you can get both bolts loose before draining so you don't get yourself into a pickle if you can only open the drain bolt....
Unread 07-31-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JeepTJ
Get yourself a FSM (Factory Service Manual). And remember - don't pump too much grease thru those fittings or you'll pop the seals.
Where do you get those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #11
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

FSM, pump, grease, fittings, or seals?
Unread 07-31-2004, 05:21 PM   #12
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JeepTJ
FSM, pump, grease, fittings, or seals?
FSM, please
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2004, 09:16 PM   #13
htownjeep
What's that noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis
FSM, please
Ebay's a good bet....always one there. Sure there's other places but I see plenty of them there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.