Base Plate Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Base Plate Question

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Oceanedge
2003 KJ Liberty 

Base Plate Question

Can anyone tell me which Base Plate I need for my 2001 Jeep Wrangler. I know the tow bar is #5250 (Roadmaster).....Which Roadmaster Base Plate will I need?

Oceanedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2 seconds on Google, 8 seconds on the Roadmaster application search, and
Roadmaster Towbars | Towbars | Towbar Accessories | Electrical Wiring | Carriers | Bike Racks | Braking Systems
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Raodmaster base plate. It's rock solid. I couldn't find the paper work, don't remember the model number. But if I were to do it again, I wouldn't use a base plate. Instead, I'd take the $250 - $300 for the base plate and put it toward an after market bumper that is strong enough to support the tabs that your tow bar attaches to. I'd talk to the bumper makers, give them the spec for the tow points, and have them weld the tabs directly to the bumper (would need to weld them front and back, just like properly done D-ring tabs).

This would allow you to avoid the low hanging base plate. It hangs down about two inches below your front bumper. This reduces your approach angle slightly. I haven't found it to be a big deal. I have banged them, but they haven't bent. Still, I would prefer to not have them hanging there.

Also, by connecting your tow bar directly to tabs on your front bumper, you would eliminate the cross bar in your tow "system". Eliminating connect points is good. Simpler to connect, and fewer things to go bad.
Cliff

FWIW - here's what mine looks like. You can see the base plate hangs down below the bumper. I'm not terribly unhappy with it, but if I were to do it again, I'd have a bumper built with the tow points built in.

cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ya know, that sounds like a good idea, I haven't started on my ft. bumper yet and I have been wondering on what I'm gonna do with my tow points (like yours) and that sounds like something I am gonna have to think on.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Oceanedge
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks guys! I had searched all of the Google, etc....and even spent more than a few seconds doing it!! However, the advantage of belonging to an online community like this is the "in depth" owner experience knowledge that simply punching in a search key term, cannot provide...awesome info!
Oceanedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.