Barnes 4WD TJ flat skid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Barnes 4WD TJ flat skid

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 04-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
creepn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Barnes 4WD TJ flat skid

Just looking for some info on this flat skid http://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-Fla...ate_p_220.html

Is anyone running this skid with the UCF lo-pro mount? I like the completely flat design which would let the t-case sit a bit lower for better clearance and driveline angles. Might need to weld in some support to stiffen it once everything is lined up but that's easy enough. The price is hard to beat. Haven't seen much talk about this skid, just UCF and Savvy. What's the JF thoughts on it?

Thanks

creepn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ive got this skid the 0" drop. hardest part was getting the holes drilled for the t case mount. i have an 01 2.5 auto so no lo pro for me but if i could use it i would strongly urge that you do. right now mine is mounted directly to the stock bulky t case mount. Get it and fab it up save a few hundred bucks and have a totally flat belly! One thing i wish they did was countersink the mounting holes for a flat mount!
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
robhurlburt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89 View Post
One thing i wish they did was countersink the mounting holes for a flat mount!
should be easy enough to take care of yourself, no?
robhurlburt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can't countersink the mounting holes due to the manufacturing variance.....some would line up, many would not. If you want countersunk holes, you have to start with a fresh, bare skid and map the hole centers yourself.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
You can't countersink the mounting holes due to the manufacturing variance.....some would line up, many would not. If you want countersunk holes, you have to start with a fresh, bare skid and map the hole centers yourself.
Guess I lucked out, the Nth skids came with countersunk holes and line up perfectly (well close to that).
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nth probably allowed some wiggle room with larger holes and a wider countersink. That's one way to do it.
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Nth probably allowed some wiggle room with larger holes and a wider countersink. That's one way to do it.
Yep, and they pulled it off across 4 bends since the skid isn't flat.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

And oh yeah if you get the barnes save yourself the trouble and cut the bent lips where the front ds goes and the exhausts on both ends. A ds tunnel will probably need to be cut into it unless you have a hp or are below 4" lift
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
creepn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89 View Post
ive got this skid the 0" drop.
That's what I'm looking at... got any pics you could post up? I've got an HP30 and only 3" lift so it sounds like it wouldn't take too much tweakin to make it work. Looks like I'll be going this way in the next month or so.

Thanks
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yup here u r
2012-12-15-16.08.48.jpg   2012-12-15-16.08.17.jpg   2013-03-12-15.32.10.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

didnt mean to upload the last one.
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
creepn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome... that's exactly what I need! Thanks for the pics and info.
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
AdamLC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Is it necessary to run a BL to get the 0 drop skid? I was thinking of flushing the trans mount bolts by taking some 1" square tubing and cutting in half or so and welding it on top of the plate and that's where the trans mount will sit ontop of. And of coarse drill a few holes in the skid to thread the nuts through but I wouldnt have the nuts and studs protruding from the bottom of the skid.
AdamLC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLC View Post
Is it necessary to run a BL to get the 0 drop skid? I was thinking of flushing the trans mount bolts by taking some 1" square tubing and cutting in half or so and welding it on top of the plate and that's where the trans mount will sit ontop of. And of coarse drill a few holes in the skid to thread the nuts through but I wouldnt have the nuts and studs protruding from the bottom of the skid.
Sounds like you're talking about raising the trans mount off of the top surface of the skid? If so, I don't think that's going to work.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLC View Post
Is it necessary to run a BL to get the 0 drop skid?
You need a certain amount of space that isn't there from the factory. How you get it is up to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.