Banks Monster Exhaust and Rugged Ridge Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Banks Monster Exhaust and Rugged Ridge Intake

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 07-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
matthewwbeal
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Banks Monster Exhaust and Rugged Ridge Intake

My stock muffler was rotting out so I decided to add a Banks Monster and Rugged Ridge Intake to my 02 TJ Sport. It took me a few hours to get my old exhaust out. I used a grinder to cut the flange and bolts at the cat and that was the hardest part. I really like the sound of my Jeep now. It's not too loud, but it has a very nice rumble. I don't have my pictures on the net yet, but I really enjoy new parts.
-Matt

matthewwbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
JOECUE123
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yes pics please!!
JOECUE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
OldenEagle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwbeal View Post
My stock muffler was rotting out so I decided to add a Banks Monster and Rugged Ridge Intake to my 02 TJ Sport. It took me a few hours to get my old exhaust out. I used a grinder to cut the flange and bolts at the cat and that was the hardest part. I really like the sound of my Jeep now. It's not too loud, but it has a very nice rumble. I don't have my pictures on the net yet, but I really enjoy new parts.
-Matt
Wondering if you're still happpy with this set up? I just ordered the Banks Monster catback system and the RuggedRidge cold air intake with throttle body spacer for my '06 TJ Sport 4.0 6spd.
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenEagle View Post
Wondering if you're still happpy with this set up? I just ordered the Banks Monster catback system and the RuggedRidge cold air intake with throttle body spacer for my '06 TJ Sport 4.0 6spd.
Your going to get a monster power increase!
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got the banks cat back and downturned it after the muffler. Love the sound.

Yo OldenEagle, return the TBS
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
OldenEagle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

Yo OldenEagle, return the TBS
No benefit of the TBS? It's included in the RR intake kit I've got on the way.
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

throttle body spacer is a complete waste of money and does nothing for the type of fuel injection system thats on a TJ. it makes a good paperweight, thats about it.

a cold air intake does absolutely nothing for a TJ either. in fact, they're often worse than stock and give poor filtration and let junk into your engine.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...intake-558437/

and cold air intakes do absolutely nothing for horsepower. below is a link to 18 dyno pulls of a TJ performed by jgorm, showing absolutely no statistical significance between stock and an aftermarket cold air intake. he also showed how easy a dyno is to skew results, since he gained almost 10hp by changing tire pressure.

http://www.tricktuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
OldenEagle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Unlimited04;10903512]throttle body spacer is a complete waste of money and does nothing for the type of fuel injection system thats on a TJ. it makes a good paperweight, thats about it.

a cold air intake does absolutely nothing for a TJ either. in fact, they're often worse than stock and give poor filtration and let junk into your engine.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...intake-558437/

So if I do notice any gains at all, it will most likely be the Banks exhaust and nothing in relation to anything done on the intake side? What about skipping the intake mod and going to a high flow air filter in the OEM box? Any benefit? I've read lots on JeepForum and other sources about these upgrades and there is quite a mixed bag of reviews and opinions on both. I am uncertain as to what gains any catbak exhaust can do without a high flow cat. I guess my thinking is that any restriction on either end will cancel out any benefit possible from only modding the exhaust or intake alone. It does make sense that the biggest culprit of restriction would be the exhaust due to emissions regulations. I'm in the same situation with my sportbike. I've added performance pipes and K&N air filters and now I'm looking at fuel management upgrades, the opinions are the same mixed bag, some say ECU upgrades are a waste and just as many say it's worth every cent.
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
OldenEagle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Your going to get a monster power increase!
I doubt any huge power increase is possible in a L6 without going to the block and heads, only hoping to get a better sound and a bit more mpg.

Tags
tj , wrangler , exhaust , intake , banks , rugged ridge

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.