Banks Monster Exhaust Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Banks Monster Exhaust Install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler WeatherstrippingJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
UFMech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Banks Monster Exhaust Install

My Banks Monster exhaust is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'm planning to do the install tomorrow afternoon. I have been hitting my skid plate bolts with PB Blaster the past two days so I don't lose them but I want to know if anyone has any advice if you have done this install in the past.

Any tips are appreciated...

UFMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Zacb262
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did the install about a month ago. It is a pretty straight forward install. The only tip I have is to try and position the new exhaust as far as possible from the RR shock as the new exhaust will melt the shock boot.
Zacb262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
default_user2

I just installed this exhaust in my LJ two days ago. Love the sound of it. Sure you can't make a 6 sound like an 8, but I love it and it doesn't sound ricey at all

As far as advice... Don't really have any, it's very simple. About the only thing I can think of is to make sure you slide the tube into the muffler all the way or they will not hang on the hangers as they're designed (read the instructions).

I left the chrome tip off completely. It's a Jeep... it shouldn't have chrome on it. The end of the tailpipe ends about a foot from the rear but that's fine with me. I'll get pics eventually...

OH! And mount the clamp that secures the tailpipe to the muffler upside down so the nuts are on the top. It will make it harder to tighten but will be one less thing that can possibly get hung up on stuff while offroad.

Good luck
default_user2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
UFMech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did either of you have any trouble with the bolts on the skid plate? Also, did you cut the stock exhaust pipe from the muffler or were you able to wiggle it all out in one piece? I have the sawzall on hand if need be, but it would be nice not to use it if I don't have to.

Also, what about the muffler / cat connection; were those nuts easy to get off?
UFMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
default_user2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFMech View Post
Did either of you have any trouble with the bolts on the skid plate? Also, did you cut the stock exhaust pipe from the muffler or were you able to wiggle it all out in one piece? I have the sawzall on hand if need be, but it would be nice not to use it if I don't have to.

Also, what about the muffler / cat connection; were those nuts easy to get off?
Bolts on the skid plate were tough, but they also have thread lock on them from the factory apparently (blue film on the threads).

I should have just cut my pipe from the muffler. If you have a sawzall then by all means cut the thing off! I had to take my driveshaft out to get it off! It might be easier as you have the TJ (I have an Unlimited). I initially wanted to save it, but afterwards realized that finding someone to buy a factory exhaust especially for the Unlimited (a lot less on the road than TJ'S) was going to take a while so I ended up junking it. One of the muffler/cat nuts were easy, while the other was really hard. Was scared it was going to strip the threads or break the bolt. I got it off luckily but the threads were stripped
default_user2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody know why the directions say to disconnect the neg. on the battery? I assume its a safety measure just in case I snag a wire while wiggling the exhausts out and back in. And damn that skid plate is a pain in the but. I went out to the garage thinking this install was going to be a 45 minute cake ride...man was I wrong. I need to buy some more/better quality tools.
Needed a deeper socket for the cat bolts. Not gonna find that at 10 pm
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by default_user2 View Post
I left the chrome tip off completely. It's a Jeep... it shouldn't have chrome on it. The end of the tailpipe ends about a foot from the rear but that's fine with me.
That tip is stainless steel and it works well if you mount it like this with the pipe cut shorter...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
NikeSwimming

Does the stock skid plate need to be torqued to a certain amount for a tj?
NikeSwimming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am thinking about installing this system on my Rubicon too. If someone who already has this on their Jeep could post some after install pics and maybe a sound clip, that would be sweet.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVNeE...e_gdata_player
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
baile_athas
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have to put a jack under the tranny after you take the skid plate off? I remember when putting on my lift that it was really important to do that. If so how do get a jack under the plate, or do you lower the skid down just enough to be able to work?
baile_athas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baile_athas View Post
Do you have to put a jack under the tranny after you take the skid plate off? I remember when putting on my lift that it was really important to do that. If so how do get a jack under the plate, or do you lower the skid down just enough to be able to work?
Yes, put it under the bell housing which you should be able to do before removing the TC skid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.