Banks Cat Back w/Magnaflow Highflow cat converter? - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
drewtj05
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 706
Banks Cat Back w/Magnaflow Highflow cat converter?

I am trying to give my Jeep a better sound, I have heard the banks running from a stock cat, and a magnaflow cat converter running out other aftermarket pipes, but I would really like to run a Banks exhaust and the magnaflow together.
Has anyone ever ran this setup?

drewtj05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 PM
WILLY348
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Snohomish, Washington
Posts: 1,307
A 4.0L isn't really ever going to sound cool no matter what you do to it. I personally just put a flow master original 40 muffler on by itself.. doesn't get all that much better then that.. unless if you want a shiney tail pipe

The money spent on a cat back system could be spent on a much better modification. Anything less then 8 cylinders just aint ever gonna sound good

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport: Current Jeep
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: (Sold and missed!)
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra http://s249.beta.photobucket.com/use...89_o1.jpg.html
WILLY348 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 07:50 PM
2doorxj
Web Wheeler
 
2doorxj's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NNJ
Posts: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post
A 4.0L isn't really ever going to sound cool no matter what you do to it. I personally just put a flow master original 40 muffler on by itself.. doesn't get all that much better then that.. unless if you want a shiney tail pipe

The money spent on a cat back system could be spent on a much better modification. Anything less then 8 cylinders just aint ever gonna sound good
except VTEC 4 cylinders..... dont worry i kid, i kid...

i think that 350z's sound nice, and there only 6 cylinder, but its also an exception

Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 08:14 PM
larjeep
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: the big city.
Posts: 824
Any cat back exhaust system will be better then stock. And hat setup is fine magnaflow cats are used with all type of xhaust

DO IT ALL, AND THAN SOME!
larjeep is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
YouStupidBunny
Registered User
2007 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,985
I run a Magnaflow cat and Banks Monster exhaust. I think it's too loud, but I have the 2.5L. Great if you hate your girlfriend. You'll never hear her talk in the Jeep.
YouStupidBunny is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
drewtj05
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post
A 4.0L isn't really ever going to sound cool no matter what you do to it. I personally just put a flow master original 40 muffler on by itself.. doesn't get all that much better then that.. unless if you want a shiney tail pipe

The money spent on a cat back system could be spent on a much better modification. Anything less then 8 cylinders just aint ever gonna sound good
I have heard some 4.0L that sound pretty throaty and closer to a truck rather than a 6cyl. I know alot of people recommend a magnaflow cat with a flowmaster exhaust and they have gotten a nice low tone.
drewtj05 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
drewtj05
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I run a Magnaflow cat and Banks Monster exhaust. I think it's too loud, but I have the 2.5L. Great if you hate your girlfriend. You'll never hear her talk in the Jeep.
I really don't mind the sound too much as long as it's not an obnoxious sound, and end up sound like a ricer is what I don't want to happen. I have heard people throw dynomax cats on their jeeps and it sounds like crap.
drewtj05 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM
TheBoogieman
Jeep Insanity!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CharlottesHELL
Posts: 32,461
If you don't need a cat,don't replace it.It won't change the sound of the exhaust.I've used the Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 40 and super 40 mufflers.The super 40 is much louder.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
drewtj05
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
If you don't need a cat,don't replace it.It won't change the sound of the exhaust.I've used the Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 40 and super 40 mufflers.The super 40 is much louder.
Did you run the super 40 with the stock cat or aftermarket? I wouldn't mind doing a Super 40 either but I don't know which model number would fit my Jeep. I know they don't make direct fits for wranglers.
drewtj05 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
TheBoogieman
Jeep Insanity!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CharlottesHELL
Posts: 32,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtj05 View Post
Did you run the super 40 with the stock cat or aftermarket? I wouldn't mind doing a Super 40 either but I don't know which model number would fit my Jeep. I know they don't make direct fits for wranglers.
I ran the super 40 with both cats (mine went bad).I got my super 40 and tailpipe for $140 on ebay.Just get the 2.25" in/out.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
drewtj05
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I ran the super 40 with both cats (mine went bad).I got my super 40 and tailpipe for $140 on ebay.Just get the 2.25" in/out.
I will look on ebay and see what I can find. I heard a JK that sounded like a V8, but I didnt get a chance to ask what exhaust they were running
drewtj05 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
YouStupidBunny
Registered User
2007 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtj05 View Post
I really don't mind the sound too much as long as it's not an obnoxious sound, and end up sound like a ricer is what I don't want to happen. I have heard people throw dynomax cats on their jeeps and it sounds like crap.
The note is low enough where it's not obnoxious, but it is loud inside. You won't be sneaking up on anyone with it.

Agree with the other guy about replacing the cat. Don't do it unless you have a problem with the old. Mine was pretty clogged. The only reason I went with the Magnaflow cat is because I couldn't find another direct fit cat.
YouStupidBunny is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
drewtj05
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
The note is low enough where it's not obnoxious, but it is loud inside. You won't be sneaking up on anyone with it.

Agree with the other guy about replacing the cat. Don't do it unless you have a problem with the old. Mine was pretty clogged. The only reason I went with the Magnaflow cat is because I couldn't find another direct fit cat.
I will most likely either go with a flowmaster exhaust or a banks cat back. really like the sound of both just undecided between the two
drewtj05 is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 08-03-2010, 01:31 AM
anymanusa
Member
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beautiful South
Posts: 336
wont you throw codes if you go catless?
anymanusa is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
drewtj05
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
wont you throw codes if you go catless?
what do you mean?
drewtj05 is offline  
Reply

Tags
banks , magnaflow , exhaust

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Catylic Converter - Magnaflow universal? mall0y TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 04-05-2010 10:14 AM
Banks or magnaflow Exhaust Blu-Jacket TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 08-19-2009 12:54 PM
Quadratec/Magnaflow converter issue TheBoogieman TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 06-03-2008 06:03 PM
'97 TJ Magnaflow Direct-fit Catalytic Converter jmkurt TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 06-02-2008 07:39 AM
Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust. Atjoer JK Wrangler Technical Forum 10 04-16-2008 01:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome