Banks Cat Back w/Magnaflow Highflow cat converter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Banks Cat Back w/Magnaflow Highflow cat converter?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Banks Cat Back w/Magnaflow Highflow cat converter?

I am trying to give my Jeep a better sound, I have heard the banks running from a stock cat, and a magnaflow cat converter running out other aftermarket pipes, but I would really like to run a Banks exhaust and the magnaflow together.
Has anyone ever ran this setup?

drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A 4.0L isn't really ever going to sound cool no matter what you do to it. I personally just put a flow master original 40 muffler on by itself.. doesn't get all that much better then that.. unless if you want a shiney tail pipe

The money spent on a cat back system could be spent on a much better modification. Anything less then 8 cylinders just aint ever gonna sound good
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post
A 4.0L isn't really ever going to sound cool no matter what you do to it. I personally just put a flow master original 40 muffler on by itself.. doesn't get all that much better then that.. unless if you want a shiney tail pipe

The money spent on a cat back system could be spent on a much better modification. Anything less then 8 cylinders just aint ever gonna sound good
except VTEC 4 cylinders..... dont worry i kid, i kid...

i think that 350z's sound nice, and there only 6 cylinder, but its also an exception

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any cat back exhaust system will be better then stock. And hat setup is fine magnaflow cats are used with all type of xhaust
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I run a Magnaflow cat and Banks Monster exhaust. I think it's too loud, but I have the 2.5L. Great if you hate your girlfriend. You'll never hear her talk in the Jeep.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post

I have heard some 4.0L that sound pretty throaty and closer to a truck rather than a 6cyl. I know alot of people recommend a magnaflow cat with a flowmaster exhaust and they have gotten a nice low tone.
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I run a Magnaflow cat and Banks Monster exhaust. I think it's too loud, but I have the 2.5L. Great if you hate your girlfriend. You'll never hear her talk in the Jeep.
I really don't mind the sound too much as long as it's not an obnoxious sound, and end up sound like a ricer is what I don't want to happen. I have heard people throw dynomax cats on their jeeps and it sounds like crap.
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't need a cat,don't replace it.It won't change the sound of the exhaust.I've used the Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 40 and super 40 mufflers.The super 40 is much louder.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
If you don't need a cat,don't replace it.It won't change the sound of the exhaust.I've used the Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 40 and super 40 mufflers.The super 40 is much louder.
Did you run the super 40 with the stock cat or aftermarket? I wouldn't mind doing a Super 40 either but I don't know which model number would fit my Jeep. I know they don't make direct fits for wranglers.
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtj05 View Post
Did you run the super 40 with the stock cat or aftermarket? I wouldn't mind doing a Super 40 either but I don't know which model number would fit my Jeep. I know they don't make direct fits for wranglers.
I ran the super 40 with both cats (mine went bad).I got my super 40 and tailpipe for $140 on ebay.Just get the 2.25" in/out.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I ran the super 40 with both cats (mine went bad).I got my super 40 and tailpipe for $140 on ebay.Just get the 2.25" in/out.
I will look on ebay and see what I can find. I heard a JK that sounded like a V8, but I didnt get a chance to ask what exhaust they were running
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtj05 View Post
I really don't mind the sound too much as long as it's not an obnoxious sound, and end up sound like a ricer is what I don't want to happen. I have heard people throw dynomax cats on their jeeps and it sounds like crap.
The note is low enough where it's not obnoxious, but it is loud inside. You won't be sneaking up on anyone with it.

Agree with the other guy about replacing the cat. Don't do it unless you have a problem with the old. Mine was pretty clogged. The only reason I went with the Magnaflow cat is because I couldn't find another direct fit cat.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
The note is low enough where it's not obnoxious, but it is loud inside. You won't be sneaking up on anyone with it.

Agree with the other guy about replacing the cat. Don't do it unless you have a problem with the old. Mine was pretty clogged. The only reason I went with the Magnaflow cat is because I couldn't find another direct fit cat.
I will most likely either go with a flowmaster exhaust or a banks cat back. really like the sound of both just undecided between the two
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

wont you throw codes if you go catless?
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
wont you throw codes if you go catless?
what do you mean?

Tags
banks , magnaflow , exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.