Bank 1 vs. Bank 2 o2 sensor location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bank 1 vs. Bank 2 o2 sensor location

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 09-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
rvsmith88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bank 1 vs. Bank 2 o2 sensor location

What is the location of #1 Cylinder on a 2004 4.0l. Is it the drivers side or the passenger side of the engine. I have a o2 sensor code Bank 1 sensor #2.

rvsmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsmith88 View Post
What is the location of #1 Cylinder on a 2004 4.0l. Is it the drivers side or the passenger side of the engine. I have a o2 sensor code Bank 1 sensor #2.
Experimental Insanity! - Oxygen Sensor Resource
Downstream, Front Manifold - Bank One, Sensor Two
ODBII Codes: P0136, P0137, P0138, P0139, P0140, P0141, P0143, P0144, P0145, P0146, P0147
Physically located towards the front of the vehicle after the mini-catalytic converter.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
rvsmith88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bank 1

Which side of the engine/exhaust is bank 1. Driver's side or passenger's side. The code is P0 138.
rvsmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Which side of the engine/exhaust is bank 1. Driver's side or passenger's side. The code is P0 138.
Both banks are located on the driver's side. Bank one is towards the front of the engine.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
armartel
2005 TJ Wrangler 

does anyone have any pictures of the o2 sensors? I searched through the forum, but couldn't find anything.
armartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
jakesteel1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armartel View Post
does anyone have any pictures of the o2 sensors? I searched through the forum, but couldn't find anything.
That would be helpful. I have a 2006 Rubicon with code P0137 indicating Downstream, Front Manifold - Bank One, Sensor Two; Physically located towards the front of the vehicle after the mini-catalytic converter.

Pictures would be helpful as I am unsure where to look. TY.
jakesteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bank 1 and bank 2 turned me down after buying my 5th TJ in 8 years for upgrades!
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesteel1 View Post
That would be helpful. I have a 2006 Rubicon with code P0137 indicating Downstream, Front Manifold - Bank One, Sensor Two; Physically located towards the front of the vehicle after the mini-catalytic converter.

Pictures would be helpful as I am unsure where to look. TY.
Follow the exhaust down from the #1 cylinder at the cylinder head. #1,2,and 3 will come together into one pipe. Follow that pipe down through the "mini" catalytic converter. The first sensor that you come to after that converter is the one you're looking for.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Follow the exhaust down from the #1 cylinder at the cylinder head. #1,2,and 3 will come together into one pipe. Follow that pipe down through the "mini" catalytic converter. The first sensor that you come to after that converter is the one you're looking for.
Just open the hood and take a look. Pretty hard to miss. Picture is not going to show you anymore than what you will see when you take a look. Not real confusing.
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You better open your hood and look. You don't have a V6 you have an inline 6. The cyls are numbered 123456 from front to rear.

Bank 1 is fed by cyls 1,2and 3 and sensor 2 is after the cat in #1 bank.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
jakesteel1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
While this explanation helps to clarify, I took some pics.

I am looking for: P0137 indicating Downstream, Front Manifold - Bank One, Sensor Two; Physically located towards the front of the vehicle after the mini-catalytic converter.

These two were the furthest away, the one on the left being towards the front.

Then there were these 2 closer to the bottom of the Jeep. This one being closer to the front:

This one being closer to the rear:

jakesteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I am looking for: P0137 indicating Downstream, Front Manifold - Bank One, Sensor Two; Physically located towards the front of the vehicle after the mini-catalytic converter.

These two were the furthest away, the one on the left being towards the front.

The one on the left is bank 1, on the right is bank 2. Both upstream.

Quote:
Then there were these 2 closer to the bottom of the Jeep. This one being closer to the front:

Bank 1 downstream

Quote:
This one being closer to the rear:

Bank 2 downstream. Hope that helps.

PS. I'm so glad I don't live in a salt infested area. Wow.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

This is the one you want to remove that is causing your problems.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
04ollllloguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ok so...i realize the factory manual uses the designations 1/1, 2/1,1/2,2/2 for the O2 sensors, however, the parts store only labels the sensors as front upstream, rear upstream, front downstream, rear downstream. am i correct in assuming that 1/1 is F/U, 2/1 R/U, 1/2 R/U, 2/2 R/D?
04ollllloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ollllloguy View Post
ok so...i realize the factory manual uses the designations 1/1, 2/1,1/2,2/2 for the O2 sensors, however, the parts store only labels the sensors as front upstream, rear upstream, front downstream, rear downstream. am i correct in assuming that 1/1 is F/U, 2/1 R/U, 1/2 F/D, 2/2 R/D?
Fixed it for you.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.