Ball Joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ball Joints

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
TJJIM79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ball Joints

I have heard nothing but good reviews about the poly performance ball joints. So back in April I ordered a set from Quadratec. To make a long boring story short.....they are still on back order!! That is after they were promised by the 2nd to 3rd week of June, and then beginning of July. Now it is several more weeks. Anyway I can not wait any longer I need to get a set now. I am heading to the Adirondaks in a week and I still need to install a new set of tie rods, ball joints, steering stabilizer, and get it aligned before I go.

So here is my question.... Does anybody have suggestions on another make of ball joints? I have an 05 TJ with 33x12.5 tires and a 4" suspension lift.

Thanks!!

TJJIM79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
kolky
2000 TJ Wrangler 

XRF ball joints. They are heavy duty. Had them on my TJ for about 6 months now running 35s with no problems.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]Yellow Jeep Club #1224[/SIZE][/COLOR]
kolky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
ble10
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I went with Spicer.
ble10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
tjchad04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1061290
tjchad04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
TJJIM79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looked for the XRF ball joints and all I can find are the lowers. Then I look for the spicer ball joints and they are around $20 a piece, which seems to be too cheap. Thinking I just may go with the Moogs.
TJJIM79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moog has gotten worse as of late. Spicer is what the Jeep came with so why not stick with what is tried and true? As long as you keep them lubed, it is not uncommon to get get 100K out of a set of Spicers even with larger tires.

I just went through the same thing and did a lot of searching which is how I came to this conclusion. People were replacing Moogs at 20K and sometimes less. I went with the Spicers

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The spicer BJ are alot better than moog's. Moog i had nothing but trouble with and would go bad around 10k miles. Even though they have a lifetime, IMO its not worth it to change them yearly.
Try tire club, They also have a ebay store as well for the XRF's, FA 1632/1633 or complete off road has dana spicer joints at a decent price. Good luck either way
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
munroejp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've tried MOOG and Spicer. My vote is Spicer.
munroejp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
kolky
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had originally bought the Moogs and returned them after I read about all the trouble people were having with them. Bought the XRFs (which were a lot less expensive than the Moogs) and they are significantly more heavy duty. Haven't seen the Spicers but I would go with them or XRF over Moog based on most of the posts I have read. I think Moog changed their manufacturing location for their ball joints or something.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]Yellow Jeep Club #1224[/SIZE][/COLOR]
kolky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolky View Post
XRF ball joints. They are heavy duty. Had them on my TJ for about 6 months now running 35s with no problems.
How many miles in 6 months?

Unless you're putting over 80,000 miles on the XRF's on 35's, they aren't exactly what I would consider heavy duty. In fact if you call XRF and ask them, they will tell you to expect about 35-40,000 on 35's.
Unread 07-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
scs2016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How many miles in 6 months?

Unless you're putting over 80,000 miles on the XRF's on 35's, they aren't exactly what I would consider heavy duty. In fact if you call XRF and ask them, they will tell you to expect about 35-40,000 on 35's.
Is that a recommendation, or a criticism? (Serious question.)
scs2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs2016 View Post
Is that a recommendation, or a criticism? (Serious question.)
Neither. I'm one of the folks who replaced 2 full sets of Moog Problem Solvers on a buddy's rig in less than 10,000 miles and eventually returned them for a full refund.

Then I replaced them with the XRF's before someone on here called them up and found out they only will estimate the mileage I stated above.

Shortly thereafter, I replaced some Spicer's in another rig that had 80,000+ miles on them the whole time on 35's. I replaced one side with a set of XRF's.

I don't recommend for or against them until we get enough miles on them to actually know something.

At this point I only know I won't ever use Moog again.
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So spicer is the best?
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I installed NAPA Premium Lifetime ball joints on mine. they're made by Dana/Spicer and carry a lifetime warranty through NAPA. Somewhere over 10k miles on them w/ 33s and still going strong.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #15
pcoplin

1998 TJ Wrangler 

33s? Just use Spicer's. They're generally the cheapest, too, around $50 a side.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.