Badlands 9,000 LB Harbor Freight winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Badlands 9,000 LB Harbor Freight winch

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
CPFLIP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Badlands 9,000 LB Harbor Freight winch

Hey guys i read some pretty decent reviews on the harbor freight badlands winch, so i picked one up... 150 bucks after my employee discount! not bad! but i hate the steel cable and i want to upgrade to a synthetic winch line! how do i know how long i could go or how thick of rope i should go? and your supposted to run a hawse fair-lead on synthetic line instead of roller correct?

CPFLIP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

get a fair lead. 3/8 synthetic 100ft. This is usually the norm for a 8k, 10k winch
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

How much 5/16" wire rope came with it? 3/8" synthetic is what you want but the winch won't hold as much of that as it does its 5/16".

A roller fairlead is better for and easier on synthetic rope than a hawse is. The initial rumors that a hawse was required for synthetic ropes were quickly found to be false. I went back to my roller fairlead years ago.

Thor at www.winchline.com is an excellent experienced source for synthetic ropes. And a Jeeper too.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not all roller fair leads are the same. You can run a roller as long as it is one where the rope cannot get pinched in the corners and it is smooth and free of any burrs.

The amount of line is dependent on the specific winch model. It will vary from one manufacturer to the next. What size and length line does this winch come with?
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can you show any major brand of roller fairlead used on winches we install onto our Jeeps where that can happen? I don’t believe you can show one where rope getting caught in the corners could really (realistically) happen.

Edit: It appears you slightly softened your comments on roller fairleads after I replied.

Unread 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
CPFLIP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have 50 foot 5/16 i believe i have a pic of the winch and bumper as me profile pic
CPFLIP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Double check that length, only 50' of wire rope is not common for a new 9,000 lb. capacity winch.

Unread 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my hands on fairleads that were different than the one that came with my Warn. The rollers did not overlap enough IMO, especially if one is careless when setting up for a pull.

No I do not have any pictures. What I can tell you is that the line CAN get caught and damaged in some roller fairleads.

With that said, educating oneself on proper recovery techniques and having the ability of recognizing and minimizing possible issues is just as important as the equipment you use. I've seen some very poor recover practices by people who didn't know any better.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So you bought a $150 winch and you want to put a $250+ syn. line on it?

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

He can always move that $250 synthetic line to a better quality winch later when it's time to replace that Badlands winch.

Unread 11-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Timmay82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
He can always move that $250 synthetic line to a better quality winch later when it's time to replace that Badlands winch.
Yep I am an unemployed college student (The VA pays me very little) but the common sense route is it's better to have a budget winch, than none at all. But with 400 dollars could he have bought a better Chinese winch?
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed, (or even assumed) under the JeepForum user name: Timmay82, are strictly that of somebody else. If you don't agree, feel that you have been attacked and as such your feelings are hurt by the above said user, than you may present any issues that you may or may not have with somebody else!
Timmay82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
saint_louligan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay82 View Post
But with 400 dollars could he have bought a better Chinese winch?
That's what I paid for my Warn M8000 new about 3 years ago. Granted it was a great deal - I haven't seen them anywhere near that price except back then.

If you're on a budget, why go synthetic at all? I haven't replaced the wire rope with synthetic yet and probably won't. I only installed it (the winch) as cheap insurance and don't really use my current Jeep like I did older ones I've owned.
saint_louligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Timmay82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_louligan View Post
That's what I paid for my Warn M8000 new about 3 years ago. Granted it was a great deal - I haven't seen them anywhere near that price except back then.

If you're on a budget, why go synthetic at all? I haven't replaced the wire rope with synthetic yet and probably won't. I only installed it (the winch) as cheap insurance and don't really use my current Jeep like I did older ones I've owned.
Yep. That is my train of thought. I am assuming he bought it because of an existing budget. And if that is the case steel cable has worked for decades.
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed, (or even assumed) under the JeepForum user name: Timmay82, are strictly that of somebody else. If you don't agree, feel that you have been attacked and as such your feelings are hurt by the above said user, than you may present any issues that you may or may not have with somebody else!
Timmay82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe he only needs the winch on that one time he may be in a bad spot because he doesn't wheel a lot. Not everyone needs an expensive winch or a used one. Now if he is using it a lot then let the typical arguments fly.

Just answer the guys questions and lay off the winch brand.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my XD9000i for $360 plus shipping. It is a very early model and I bought it used. I am still running the steel cable that it came with. Once the cable needs to be replaced I will look at synthetic. I use it maybe once or twice a year and it is never too serious of a pull

Tags
winch accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.