Bad Vibration at or above 45 mph, not driveline. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad Vibration at or above 45 mph, not driveline.

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
jeeptj03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bad Vibration at or above 45 mph, not driveline.

Well I have some were between 4 and 5.5 inches of lift here is my problem
When I go above 45mph My entire jeep vibrates From the rear. but I am not talking about a little vibration I am talking about turning a bumble buddy on.
I had 28 inch tires Vibration was there. Went to 35 inch tires, today, vibration there, tire and rim balance is fine. Have SYE installed already adjusted drive line angle with adjustable control arms vibration is still there\. This all started after my vehicle was hit in the front wheel and I swapped both Axles Insurance paid for front. Went ahead and swapped rear as well. Front dana 44-- rear 8.8 had 5.13 gears already installed, both were used.
Previous owner had sunk his jeep and pulled it out of the mud with chain attached to rear axle. blew his engine and transmission in the process.
I grabbed ahold of the drive shaft and tried to move it, it does not give at all.
Could the vibration be from a bent axle shaft? If so how long and how much would it cost to replace this? How can I determine if this is the problem.

Sorry, for such a long post This has been bugging the tar out of me and I am tired of throwing money in all directions.

jeeptj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

carrier bearings?

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Hot Sauce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is a stupid question, but are you sure the SYE angle is right (pinion pointing striaght up the driveshaft)?

As for a bent axleshaft, see if your wheels are rotating true or if you have any runout. I actually bent one fairly bad and couldn't even tell while driving though. My buddy driving behind me had to tell me about it.
Hot Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You could definately have a bad castor or pinion angle. And are you sure you don't have a bent tie rod ? The smallest ding can screw up your toe-in pretty bad.
Unread 10-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
jeeptj03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not the tie rod-have the Teraflex high steer system would take a lot to bend that.
Unread 10-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Texas1880

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just went through this with my 03 TJ @ 13,000 miles. I had a vibration that I thought was coming from the rear. I was looking at .... Lift, loose bolts, driveline angles, U-Joints, etc, and it all looked fine ...

I pulled the #1 plug and it was way out of gap, as well as were the other 5, so I replaced plugs and vibration was eliminated.
Texas1880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
jeeptj03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well diagnosis bent axle shaft at least I found the problem
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
jeeptj03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Update after fixing the bent axle shaft I still had some pretty annoying vibration which i chased for a while, TODAY over a year later I found out what the problem was...THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT!
Another shop had told me it was the tires so i fixed that problem then it was the axle U-Joint which they wanted replace both of and charge me $300. But, they said this might not be the problem. Well I got tired of throwing money at this shop and went down to my good ole trusted jeep mechanic over at SVE, Bill. Bill nicely told me that the guy at the other shop did not know what he was talking about the ujoint had a little play but, "nothing to write home about. Instead he put the jeep up on the lift and took the front drive shaft out. we did not even have to drive a 100 yrds. I knew the problem was fixed. So, he is giving tom woods a call today and will be placing an order for me later today, once he gets back with the price.

So, long story short the Jeep is no longer for sale. I am soooo happy!
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
madhouse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

this kind of stuff makes me happy.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptj03 View Post
Update after fixing the bent axle shaft I still had some pretty annoying vibration which i chased for a while, TODAY over a year later I found out what the problem was...THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT!
Another shop had told me it was the tires so i fixed that problem then it was the axle U-Joint which they wanted replace both of and charge me $300. But, they said this might not be the problem. Well I got tired of throwing money at this shop and went down to my good ole trusted jeep mechanic over at SVE, Bill. Bill nicely told me that the guy at the other shop did not know what he was talking about the ujoint had a little play but, "nothing to write home about. Instead he put the jeep up on the lift and took the front drive shaft out. we did not even have to drive a 100 yrds. I knew the problem was fixed. So, he is giving tom woods a call today and will be placing an order for me later today, once he gets back with the price.

So, long story short the Jeep is no longer for sale. I am soooo happy!
Cool man, glad you figured it out.
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
jerseyboxer58
2006 TJ Wrangler 

could i have the same problem? my car vibrates at like 65 mph. its a fine vibration theres no wobble or anything.
i dont go off road really and i take care of the car so i donmt know what could be wrong. sooo heres the scoop

i got new tires like 6 monthes ago (bfgoodrich all terrains) i didnt feel anything like like 3 monthes ago. i figured i would get them re balanced so i did that and no fix so i was gonna balance and re do alignment.. but like yhou i dont have/want to spend much money. i have another thread on here and those guys said balance and alignment so whats your take?

i dont know what else to say really ha i dont come on here often um oh and the mileage is 64k so maybe somehting is wearin? i gotta get this fixed cause im taking the car to OBX in august haha its a 10 hour drive and i dont wanna be vibrating whole way plus i feel its unsafe..
jerseyboxer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #12
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Vibes can be caused by a bunch of different things. Fill in your profile so we know what to troubleshoot.
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
jerseyboxer58
2006 TJ Wrangler 

theres nothing to fill in ahhaa the car is totaly stock, 6 speed, 64k miles 2006 sport, bfgoodrich AT.
jerseyboxer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #14
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

jersey boxer...JEEP not car.

and it must be hilarious to have seen 28s go to 35s. glad to hear its solved though

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboxer58 View Post
theres nothing to fill in ahhaa the car is totaly stock, 6 speed, 64k miles 2006 sport, bfgoodrich AT.
Well, with 64k miles, there are a lot of components that can wear that will cause vibes. Check your trackbar, tie rod/drag link, control arm ends, tire pressure, re-balance the tires. There isnt much to align with a stock TJ. just check your toe.

If you're stock, add that to your sig. Its just as important as any other modification.

Your best bet is to search. Vibes are a very common problem with a million different causes. There are countless threads dedicated to troubleshooting. youll find more info in them than any answers you'll get here...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.