Bad TPS, can that cause backfiring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad TPS, can that cause backfiring?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 02-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
jfallken

Bad TPS, can that cause backfiring?

Upon suggestion, I replaced my CPS, it didn't resolve the issue. Next stab would be at the TPS. Here are the symptoms:
Started idleing a little off, just a little rough, next time I tried to start it, it was real bad, requiring %50 throttle to stay running, sounded like it was missing on at least 2 holes.
Checked spark, ok. Pulled all the plugs, checked wires/cap/rotor, everything ok.
Getting plenty of fuel however I haven't hooked up a pressure gauge to the line, but the pump works fine and plenty gas comes out of the valve.
Now when I try to start it I have to put the gas pedal to the floor to get it to fire, and keep it at about %50 to stay running. Most times at start up it will just backfire.
I replaced the Crank Pos. Sensor, there was no change.

I'm not sure if its the tps, has anybody out there experienced a backfire situation with a bad TPS at start up? Any suggestions on my next course of action?

BTW, no codes, hooked it up to a OBD II scanner/ monitor and nothing came up or looked out of the ordinary. I have never wanted to see a check engine light so bad before!!!!!!!!

3.73 gears
3 sp auto, looking for anything else
jfallken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
under_psi

i got a code when my TPS went bad. my only symptoms were stalling and sputtering when i depressed the clutch, and some poor acceleration charachteristics....i got no backfiring if that is any help to you...
What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror. But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. considerately. Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
under_psi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i have the same problem with mine right now, i can drive it but it backfires and kicks alot, check engine light flashes on when it happens, RPM guages goes wack when it happens, you have the same problems?mine happens over bumps a lot as well
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
cptn_mrgn78
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check your exhaust manifolds for cracks. Mine finally cracked and it was showing the same symptoms.

New: '05 Unlimited
cptn_mrgn78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
jfallken

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBlu974X4
i have the same problem with mine right now, i can drive it but it backfires and kicks alot, check engine light flashes on when it happens, RPM guages goes wack when it happens, you have the same problems?mine happens over bumps a lot as well
Have you checked the codes? Its real easy, theres a sticky at the top of the forum with instructions.. That should point you in the right direction.... I wish my damn light would come on
Make my damn life a lot easier and cheaper..
3.73 gears
Unread 02-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
jfallken

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptn_mrgn78
Check your exhaust manifolds for cracks. Mine finally cracked and it was showing the same symptoms.
Checked that already, good suggestion though. I checked all the o2 wires for damage also..
3.73 gears
Unread 02-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
bigjohnwhodatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by under_psi
i got a code when my TPS went bad. my only symptoms were stalling and sputtering when i depressed the clutch, and some poor acceleration charachteristics....i got no backfiring if that is any help to you...
Exactly the same for me. Not one backfire. Doesn't sound like a TPS issue to me.
Warn M8000
Jeeperman Rock Sliders
Big dreams and a little wallet
bigjohnwhodatis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
jeeptj00boy

Yeah that sounds like the tps to me, I did the same damn thing
jeeptj00boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #9
bigjohnwhodatis

Come to think of it, if it were any of these electrical sensors, how would it not throw a code?
Warn M8000
Jeeperman Rock Sliders
Big dreams and a little wallet
bigjohnwhodatis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:40 AM   #10
MR.CLIFFORD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

take off the tps and clean it. Clean the whole throttle body while you're at it. Make sure the IAC isn't sticking.
MR.CLIFFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #11
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i cleaned my throttle body and all, mine backfires, will stall, no codes arleady checked, light only comes on when it glitches. fuel guage will go to empty until it happens again
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.