BAD Shimmy at 50-55 MPH - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BAD Shimmy at 50-55 MPH

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 06-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
planejeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

BAD Shimmy at 50-55 MPH

My 2005 Wrangler X has a really bad shimmy in the front end at 50-55 MPH. I can accelerate out of the shaking but if traffic slows, the poor thing feels like it is going to shake apart. No, I am not braking when this occurs.
I have done a visual inspection of the suspension and nothing appears broken or loose. All the wheel weights are still in place...I am at a loss.
The 4x4 light is on, but it is not engaged. This darn light has been on for about 6 months. I am not sure if these are related but worth stating just in case.
Thanks for your help!

planejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got a front end wobble the other day. One of the front sway bar bolts was 1-2 turns from bouncing down the hwy. I put some loc-tite on it. Did you check wheel lugs?

***EDIT***

It did the bad death wobble today. Found a loose front passenger track bar bolt was fubar.

Link to thread here...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/de...k-bar-1062695/

Last edited by SolidBrass; 07-03-2010 at 08:36 PM..
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
ClassicRiderhp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OP, is it death wobble or is it just a shimmy/vibration?
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
05tjx

Check the air in the front tires and make sure they are not cupped, Get your wrenches out and tighten all your control arm and stabilizer bolts. Also your front trac bar, does your jeep have a lift if it does, does it have the extended pitman arm. Anything 4 inches of lift and below shouldnt have the drop pitman arm on it. Do all that and get your tires balanced and see what happens.
05 tj x, 4in procomp stage 2, aem intake, tbs, jet chip, 3312.50 15 on 15x10 weld supersingles, quick discos, 4.56s, detroit truetrac in the front and super 35 kit with a detroit in the rear,and other stuff
05tjx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Balance your tires, they love to shake around 50mph.
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
planejeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. I will be spending some time in the garage this weekend. I will post if I find anything.
planejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not to hijack, but I am having the same problem.

Between 55 - 65 mph. I get a shimmy/shake in the front end and in the steering wheel. It seems to happen about 80% of the time I am in that speed range. (Some times, but not often, no shake at all) It happens when accelerating, decelerating, and when holding a constant speed.

*It is not a tire balance issue. I took all 4 tire/wheels off and put on the stock 30's I still have and nothing changed.
*I have also changed the LCA's since it has been doing it and, no change.
*I checked the torque on the CA's, the trackbar, and the steering stabilizer. All good.

What else up there could cause this speed sensitive shake? How can I check it out without blindly throwing parts at it?

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

all sounds like death wobble a bit....Id search for threads about death wobble and follow all the instructions see if it helps...
colgatefootball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
Ryon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my 06 X, same speed and everything. I went to Walmart and got all the tires rebalanced cause the tread has worn out alot since I put the tires on it. But Long story short, 20 dollars and my death wobble is gone. Give it a try and see if it helps ya.
Ryon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I can see some flex in the track bar bushing at the axle when the steering wheel is rocked back and forth, so today I ordered a new bushing at AutoZone. It is the Energy Suspension poly replacement, part# 2.7102. It only cost $11 and seems like the place to start.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Unread 07-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
ImportInvasion
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ill save you some headache. I recently had the EXACT same problem. I checked all suspension components. Changed my brakes and rotors. Changed all four shocks, greased all ball joints, had my tires balanced, and front end aligned. It still shook at that speed range. Bought brand new tires, PROBLEM SOLVED. I don't understand exactly why it was happening, but new tires fixed the problem for good. Maybe an internal belt torn??? Hope this helps.
ImportInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
NDTIII
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher420 View Post
Well, I can see some flex in the track bar bushing at the axle when the steering wheel is rocked back and forth, so today I ordered a new bushing at AutoZone. It is the Energy Suspension poly replacement, part# 2.7102. It only cost $11 and seems like the place to start.
Best (and cheapest) place to start. Cured mine with a $10 urathane bushing too. Be sure to check for ovality in the bolt hole for the bushing. If it's not gone, wiggle the wheel and see what else moves the most and replace that next.
NDTIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportInvasion View Post
Ill save you some headache. I recently had the EXACT same problem......Bought brand new tires, PROBLEM SOLVED.
Quote:
*It is not a tire balance issue. I took all 4 tire/wheels off and put on the stock 30's I still have and nothing changed.
In my case, I put a known good set of tires/wheels on and nothing changed.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Unread 07-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Sergio815

EXACT same Problem - Solved

I had the exact problem between 50-55 and yes I could accelerate out of it too. Let the issue go on to long I am sure but Saturday took to my Local Firestone/Bridgestone which is managed by a relative. He said alignment was way off and front tires(well right front was worn uneven). Did the alignment, replaced two tires, think he moved backs to front and new ones put in back but not 100% sure.

Problem Solved... at least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planejeep View Post
My 2005 Wrangler X has a really bad shimmy in the front end at 50-55 MPH. I can accelerate out of the shaking but if traffic slows, the poor thing feels like it is going to shake apart. No, I am not braking when this occurs.
I have done a visual inspection of the suspension and nothing appears broken or loose. All the wheel weights are still in place...I am at a loss.
The 4x4 light is on, but it is not engaged. This darn light has been on for about 6 months. I am not sure if these are related but worth stating just in case.
Thanks for your help!
Sergio815 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

Original problem:
Quote:
Between 55 - 65 mph. I get a shimmy/shake in the front end and in the steering wheel. It seems to happen about 80% of the time I am in that speed range. (Some times, but not often, no shake at all) It happens when accelerating, decelerating, and when holding a constant speed.

*I have also changed the LCA's since it has been doing it and, no change.
*I checked the torque on the CA's, the trackbar, and the steering stabilizer. All good.
I noticed some play in the trackbar bushing so I just replaced it with a energy suspension poly bushing. I also replaced the OEM bolt with a true (10mm?) bolt to eliminate any play in the bushing mount. This has helped lessen the frequency of the shimmy/shake, but has not eliminated the shake, or notably lessened the severity of the shake when it does happen.

What else up there could cause this speed sensitive shake? How can I check it out without blindly throwing parts at it?

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Tags
shimmy , 4wd light , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.