Bad KNOCK comin out of 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad KNOCK comin out of 4wd

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
JakeJones

Bad KNOCK comin out of 4wd

After i'm comin out of 4wd and get back on the the road... it still feels like it's in 4hi and then about 500yards down the road KNOCK! and it's back in 2hi.

What's the deal?

i have a t-case drop with 3.5" lift

Unread 12-06-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
BumbleBeeTJ

same thing happens to me...i don't know why. so i can't do shift on fly which i probably need sometime this winter
Unread 12-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
FlexyTJ

This is normal (well I dunno about the loudness of it you seems to be describing), mine is more of a barely audible/discernable "tap". It takes a slight load to disengage the front outputshaft...mine shifts on the fly with no problem at any reasonable speed.

maybe you have a sloppy u-joint in the front D/S?

Same reason you need to drive the old Yota 4 runners in reverse a bit after disengaging the 4wd to actually get it to go back to 2
Unread 12-06-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
BumbleBeeTJ

well it worked fine before and recently it sticks to 4hi. even when i put the lever down in 2hi. if i tried to put the lever back into 4hi, it won't go in cuz it's already STUCK there. and BIG CLUNK down the road whenim going like 50mph....
Unread 12-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
JakeJones

same exact way with mine
Unread 12-06-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The first and most simply check would be to ensure your fluid level in the t-case is correct.

While I don't have a t-case drop, could there be an issue it and the t-case shift linkage getting a little out of sorts and not fully shifting the mode fork from 4WD to 2WD? (4HI to 2HI)
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
RkSldr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same exact problem this past year. I couldn't shift into 4-HI other than very slow speeds. Then when I shifted back into 2 wheel drive, it would pause anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute, then a huge KLUNK. If I was on a trail, I could slow roll in reverse and shift into 2 wheel and it would shift without the klunk.

I know this won't help, but since I put in a SYE with the lift, it doesn't happen anymore, it shifts like new. Maybe something is slightly out of place in the transfer case. Couldn't tell you what was wrong.
Nth degree Mobility shock shifters
AA SYE/Tom Woods Shaft
33" Goodyear MTRs on 15x8 Cragar 352s
3.73 gears, D30/D35
2 PIAA 540 Driving Lights
4 IPF Lights
2 Stock Fog Lights
4 Rock Lights

[URL=http://outdoor.seethingsmile.com/welcome.php?jeep=view]Project - Jeep Website[/URL]

[COLOR=Green]Green Jeep Member #154[/COLOR]
RkSldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
BumbleBeeTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson
The first and most simply check would be to ensure your fluid level in the t-case is correct.

While I don't have a t-case drop, could there be an issue it and the t-case shift linkage getting a little out of sorts and not fully shifting the mode fork from 4WD to 2WD? (4HI to 2HI)

I changed the fluid and it started to happen so i changed it again. and I did put a 4" lift with 1" transfer case drop so that may have something to do with it.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.