bad gear sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bad gear sound

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
mcmopar
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bad gear sound

I just got done putting gears and lockers in my Jeep, the tooth pattern looks good everything looks good. When I took it on a test drive I didn't even get it out of the driveway when I noticed that there was a grinding sound when I let off of the gas to shift or slow down. When accelerating it all sounds good. This is my first gear change so any thoughts on this problem would be helpful. I thought that it was coming from the front but when I took the cover off I did not see nothing that looked out of the ordinary.

Unread 02-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
mcmopar
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nobody has ever heard of this before that has done gear swaps HELP
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
kllrbee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How long has your jeep been sitting outside since the reagear?
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
mcmopar
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I put the gear lube in then test drove it within the hour
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
GroundAssault
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When driving my jeep my after the gear swap, I too got a pretty strange sound. Basically it was high pitched and when I would lightly sit on the skinny pedal grinding would be added to the high pitched sound. I took it back to the guy and he said I had "burned the face off the gear". So I bought another gear set and install kit and he again installed the gears. I followed the recommended break in to the tee but again I got the same sound. I was told that the guy did not use a case spreader and follow proper spec on the Dana casing. I am not sure exactly what that means but my sound is only above 55-60. So I figure I will drive it till I blow the rear end up and either do a 8.8 or a 44. Just my $.02. Hope it helps a little

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
GroundAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.