BAD!!! drive line vib. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BAD!!! drive line vib.

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

BAD!!! drive line vib.

At the beginning of October I took a trip ot Oak Ridge TN to Windrock mountain OHV park and on the way back after leaving the park i stopped for lunch, when i got back on the road i started getting a horrible drive line vibration. I thought it was my u-joints... but it wasn't i changed them, and it was still there. i had the wheels and tires balanced, and i had it diagnosed at a local 4x4 shop they said that i bent the slip yoke... but my drive shaft has not taken a hit0 mph, and the guy there said that when he removed the shaft and got the shaft turning he didn't see it moving or shakeing even up to 70. so i was wondering if anyone could shoot me some ideas, the diff fluid has been changed in both diffs the day after i came back, and the vibration seems to be coming from the rear through the seat.

curt7088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So from the park to where you stopped for lunch there was no vibes? Just when you got back on the road?
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yes they start at 55 almost exactly
Unread 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lets start here:

Put the jeep in 4-high and remove the rear driveshaft and drive it around....

does the problem persist?
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check for a broken trans mount.
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I shall do both in the am...
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ok, took the driveshaft out put it in 4Hi drove it, the vibration was still there but sooo very slight it was 100x's better.... so i believe the shop i took it to may be right, checked the transmission mounts and they are all intact and OK... but put it back in 2wd with the driveshaft out and had it turning like 80, and the output shaft on the tcase didn't visibly shimmy, shake, or anything... any other ideas???
Unread 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7088 View Post
ok, took the driveshaft out put it in 4Hi drove it, the vibration was still there but sooo very slight it was 100x's better.... so i believe the shop i took it to may be right, checked the transmission mounts and they are all intact and OK... but put it back in 2wd with the driveshaft out and had it turning like 80, and the output shaft on the tcase didn't visibly shimmy, shake, or anything... any other ideas???
100x better most likely means:
-Pinion angle is bad
-Bad Ujoints (yes, I know you changed)
-driveshaft out of balance.
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
509media
1930 JK Wrangler 

Sometimes a tranny mount can appear to not be broken. Put something around the tires to keep the Jeep from rolling. Parked on a flat surface of course. LOL Put the Jeep in neutral. Lay on the ground and push against the driveshaft with your foot. Does the tranny move around a lot? If so more than likely you have a broke tranny mount. It is much easy to check with the Jeep in neutral. Not sure you checked it that way. Just thought I would mention it.

Check the yoke on the rear axle. I have had a couple Jeeps come in the shop over the years with a broken yoke. The tiny ears that hold u-joint center and the caps on can break off. Make sure they are still on there. If not the driveshaft may not be bolting back on the yoke centered.

If you are running a cv shaft a broke cv can cause issues like this. I would recommend inspecting it. Again place the Jeep in neutral on a flat surface. Make sure the Jeep can not roll. Grab the driveshaft and see if it moves around. If so this can point out faulty u-joints, cv's, and other issues. If the Jeep is not in neutral with load off of the driveshaft this problem may be harder to see.

The weight on welded to the side of stock driveshafts to balance them can get knocked off easily. I would also check this.

Dan
509media is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy View Post
100x better most likely means:
-Pinion angle is bad
-Bad Ujoints (yes, I know you changed)
-driveshaft out of balance.
the vibration was still there, the jeep is not lifted, how can the pinion angle be bad... and the vibration is still there when a different driveshaft is installed
i checked the transmission mounts visually and then layed under it while strain was put against the tranny in reverse and drive... i will check with my foot against the driveshaft tomorrow to see if the tranny mounts are broke.
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509media View Post
Sometimes a tranny mount can appear to not be broken. Put something around the tires to keep the Jeep from rolling. Parked on a flat surface of course. LOL Put the Jeep in neutral. Lay on the ground and push against the driveshaft with your foot. Does the tranny move around a lot? If so more than likely you have a broke tranny mount. It is much easy to check with the Jeep in neutral. Not sure you checked it that way. Just thought I would mention it.

Check the yoke on the rear axle. I have had a couple Jeeps come in the shop over the years with a broken yoke. The tiny ears that hold u-joint center and the caps on can break off. Make sure they are still on there. If not the driveshaft may not be bolting back on the yoke centered.

If you are running a cv shaft a broke cv can cause issues like this. I would recommend inspecting it. Again place the Jeep in neutral on a flat surface. Make sure the Jeep can not roll. Grab the driveshaft and see if it moves around. If so this can point out faulty u-joints, cv's, and other issues. If the Jeep is not in neutral with load off of the driveshaft this problem may be harder to see.

The weight on welded to the side of stock driveshafts to balance them can get knocked off easily. I would also check this.

Dan
i'm running a stock driveshaft with no lift and the ears are still there checked those. the yoke is centering checked that.

The wierd thing is the vibration gets better without the rear driveshaft, but is not eliminated, i'm sorry if i did not explain that fully in my earlier post, is there a chance that the rear axle could be causing this vibration? someting internal with the pinion and crush nut, i did notice that there is a slight slack in the yoke on the rear, not sure if that makes a slight difference... thanx for the input guys this is really gettin on my nerves and i want to get it nipped, but then again i had it diagnosed, but i wanted to make sure that the shop that diagnosed it wasn't trying to lay one over on me,
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I did not realize you were 100% stock. sorry...

yes, you could have some slop and or something wrong with your rear end. It is hard for us to diagnose it online.
Check the play/backlash of the pinion, pinion nut, yoke, and even pull the rear cover to inspect the diff.
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
509media
1930 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7088 View Post
i'm running a stock driveshaft with no lift and the ears are still there checked those. the yoke is centering checked that.

The wierd thing is the vibration gets better without the rear driveshaft, but is not eliminated, i'm sorry if i did not explain that fully in my earlier post, is there a chance that the rear axle could be causing this vibration? someting internal with the pinion and crush nut, i did notice that there is a slight slack in the yoke on the rear, not sure if that makes a slight difference... thanx for the input guys this is really gettin on my nerves and i want to get it nipped, but then again i had it diagnosed, but i wanted to make sure that the shop that diagnosed it wasn't trying to lay one over on me,
When you do a couple of the tests I mentioned push and pulling on the driveshaft you should be able to see if the pinion bearings are still tight in the rear axle. If the pinion bearings are in bad enough shape to cause vibration like you are experiencing I would venture to say you will have sound to go with it. I would take a look. Only rule things out when you know they are not the cause.

My guess with the information is going to be tranny mount. A visual inspection will not tell you for certain if it has failed in some cases.

Let us know after you have had to push around on the driveshaft. Like I mentioned before make sure to do this with it in neutral.

Dan
509media is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanx
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
Farmkid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its possible thone of those u-joints are bad. I installed 2 new joints in the rear and after about 2 weeks of driving the needle bearings in one of the "new" joints looked like powder stirred in grease.
Farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.