Bad day of mudding-engine light problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad day of mudding-engine light problem

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
taylormackayers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bad day of mudding-engine light problem

A couple days ago I went out mudding in my stock 97 Jeep TJ 4 cylinder 2.5l and went through 6-8 puddles in a row and they only came up about half of my rims but then when I got out onto the main trail my jeep stalled even though my foot was on the clutch. I played around with it until it would stay running then later went on the highway and my engine light came on. Also it still felt like it was going to stall and became really jerky when i was starting off going or if my foot was pressed most of the way down on the gas. I checked the engine light issue and it gave me 3 codes. P0121, P0123 and P0303. The P0303 says there was a cylinder 3 misfire detected so I changed all my spark plugs today because they needed to be done anyways but the issue is still the same. The P0121 code involves the Throttle position sensor range and performance and the other is the TPS sensor high input circuit. I have no experience with the TPS unit, don't know what it looks like or where it is located. Wondering if anyone else had this same issue and could offer some much needed advice.

taylormackayers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Majnoon
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If it were mine I would disconnect the battery (removes codes, makes engine relearn) disconnect the TPS soak it and the connector with electronic safe silicone lubricant. Like used on weather seals and grommets. Theory being water got in there. Not an expert never seen it happen, just what I would try. Edit:
It's a black plastic thing on the throttle body. Thats the thing the throttle cables and air intake hook to. Just realized you needed location of TPS. ( throttle position sensor)
Majnoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
wrangler2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect. So the sensors and communications can reset... (Remember radio preset the reset FYI)

Your prob not dealing with anything big here. When it comes to throttle body cleaning etc... It's simple.

-War is sweet to those not experienced in it.- 09-12
wrangler2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've made pretty fast runs down an old rail bed road with loads of puddles and bumps. Eventually my gauges go crazy and check engine light comes on. Just dry it out. Pop your distributor cap off and make sure it's dry inside. You'll be fine. If you don't have a code reader to clear the codes then do as said above and remove batt cable.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
taylormackayers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I tried everything suggested above with no success so i went out and bought a new tps unit and replaced it, started her up and nothing changed it's still running like crap
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormackayers View Post
I tried everything suggested above with no success so i went out and bought a new tps unit and replaced it, started her up and nothing changed it's still running like crap
Did you clear the codes? Any new codes pop up? Did you crack your distributor cap? Put the plug wires on wrong? I'd keep it simple for now.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
peicherokee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get after market or oem tps replacement, i ask because when I got mine I got aftermarket and I went through a few of them before I found a good one..

PEI JEEPERS MEMBER
peicherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
taylormackayers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just got an aftermarket on I am going to take it back and try an OEM
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Toby36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes i wnt through two tps sensors before i got a good one. it might not be the sensor anymore though if it is still misfiring. also before you hook up the sensor unhook the battery so code clears before the new one is plugged in that way it will relearn properly
Toby36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Majnoon
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unhook it for 10 minutes at least. If the check engine light is still on immediately after unhooking it wasn't long enough.
Majnoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , tps , tps code

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.