Is it bad to change your AT fluid? (32rh) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is it bad to change your AT fluid? (32rh)

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 07-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #31
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yellow View Post
whats the process for checking the trans fluid? do you keep it running to check or turn it off? the manual is a little fuzz about what you do . it doesn t say to turn off or leave running.
The engine is supposed to be warmed up and running, and you're supposed to be in Neutral.

WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #32
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
It may seem a waste of money but I flush my trans every 15,000 miles(filter change every other flush) and use the correct fluid,but in over 20 years of driving I have never had a trans failure and I'm hard on vehicles(very hard).
This, IMHO, is how every vehicle should be taken care of. If I was the original owner of my Jeep, my 32rh would've been getting flushed that often from the beginning. I'd much rather spend the $90-$100 on a flush once a year or so, then run into far more expensive problems down the road.

And to the OP, if your fluid really is brown/burnt, I definitely wouldn't flush. I, personally, would let it be, because it'll probably still last you a while. Save up cash in the meantime so you'll be ready for an overhaul when the time comes. And if it never does, you can spend that cash on other mods! (That's exactly what I did)
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #33
LMoscar45
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can't see how anyone would advocate letting it be as the best course of action. If you choose not to swap the fluid regardless of means, you should at lease add an additive restorer like lubegard, etc. This would satisfy any apprehensions concerning swapping the fluid, and restore the necessary additives to the fluid. If you are ridiculously concerned about fluid levels, suction out 10 oz of old fluid and dump int he 10oz bottle of lubegard.....just trust me and spend the $15 bucks.

Leaving burnt fluid will yield nothing positive. A 2 minute conversation with your local transmission builder would be beneficial.
LMoscar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #34
TheRover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just going to add some lubegard and hope for the best. When it dies and i get it rebuilt then I'll worry about changing the fluid on schedule. And I'll install a tranny cooler and temp gauge.

Sound like a good plan?
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #35
TheRover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. So, yesterday, I noticed a spot on the concrete under the tranny pan. I checked the area out with a flashlight, and it was wet.. in a lot of places. Wind from driving probably blew the fluid around some. So i'm not sure where it's coming from but it was dripping from the rear section of the pan (most likely because that's the lowest point on the transmission in that area). I cleaned it all off so i'd be able to tell where it was coming from.

I drove it around today, and so far there's nothing. The leak appeared overnight, after a day or two of not being driven (as far as I can remember). We pulled the dipstick, and of course it's all brown. Well, this time it showed it as being overfull. Also, there were a few bubbles in the fluid too, which is not normal. I don't think we noticed either of those things the first time we pulled it.

Link to AT stuff
^ That website says that the bubbles could be caused by:
-Overfull AT fluid
-Not enough AT fluid
-(if the fluid is milky brown) a leak in the AT fluid cooler, so it's mixing with coolant
-Plugged transmission vent
-Wrong ATF

There's enough AT fluid, and i'm 99% sure there's right kind of fluid in there.
As for the other things, I'm going to have to pull some fluid to see if it's milky brown or not. Also, doing that paper towel test suggested on the website isn't a bad idea either.

I'm just worried that there might be coolant in the fluid. Because then we'd have to change the fluid, and risk killing the transmission...

Any ideas?

-Jason

Tags
32rh , atf , automatic , change , fluid , maintenance , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.