Bad battery or bad connection somewhere? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad battery or bad connection somewhere?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
plentyofenergy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bad battery or bad connection somewhere?

About a month ago, my TJ first showed this problem. When starting the engine, the starter would turn on but just a split-second later, the jeep would cut off all electricity completely. Removing the key and trying again, it would typically start right up. Another time this happened, I jiggled the battery cables and it seemed to start just fine. I figured there was some corrosion at the battery terminals, so I scuffed them up a bit with a wire brush, wiped clean any gunk, and applied dielectric grease when reattaching the battery cables. That seemed to solve the problem, until today. Turned the key, the starter turned on for just a fraction of a second and then lost all electricity. Jiggled battery, no change, no electric. Had to take the bus home. Does it sounds like a battery problem or a connection problem? If a connection problem, where should I check?

Not sure of the age of the battery, it could be ancient. Owned this TJ for a year, haven't replaced it. I know sometimes there will be a date sticker on it, but I'm home now so I can't look and my gut says there is no sticker.

Thanks!

plentyofenergy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
nickkick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What is it measuring at the battery? I would measure it since you will not be sure how old the battery is.
Also check the ground.
nickkick is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had they same problem about a month ago. Right as I was cranking the motor over, everything went dead. No lights,horn,radio, nothing, as if the battery was removed. After checking fuses and relays, I cleaned the battery cable connections until they were shining silver......problem solved.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Since you don't know how old the battery is, I would swap it out with a new one to eliminate that issue, then see what happens.
Some would say its throwing parts at the problem, but I consider battery replacement a regular maintenance item.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 04:08 AM   #5
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My Harley did the same thing last summer. Ended up being invisible corrosion on one of the main ground cables (I think there's like 3 of them on my bike). Not sure which one it was, but after scuffing them all up and reattaching them it was cured. I'd try that, cables corrode on the battery end usually but I guess they can corrode where they ground to the engine, etc.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
lloydsmale
2000 TJ Wrangler 

check your cables real well. Twice in my life ive actually had cables so corroded on the inside that they did exactly that.
my off road toys are a 2000 yellow 4 cyl with a 2 inch lift and 31 bfgs. A 2006 silverado club cab 4x4 with a 310 hp, K&N intake, borla exaust, computer reprogramed by westers, 285/17 bfg mud terrains. A yamaha grizzly, A yamaha raptor and a yamaha warrior, honda big red, 2009 polaris rzr
lloydsmale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
jski701
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I talked to the mechanic who maintained my jeep for the previous owner and he said at different times he replaced both the positive and the negative cables. Explained that the symptoms were the same as a dead battery. Just throwing this in so you don't get frustrated if a new battery isn't the fix.
As far as corrosion goes, I have to clean the battery terminals on my bucket truck at work at least once a year or it won't power up the inverter, even though it starts the truck. If it gets to the point that the truck won't start, there's usually a pile of build up on the terminals
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
plentyofenergy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I'm going to drive down to where the Jeep is stranded, polish the terminals again, and take a look at the frame and engine grounds.

I don't have a multimeter--any suggestions on good products that aren't too spendy?
Unread 10-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkick View Post
Also check the ground.
this ...
Unread 10-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
plentyofenergy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaned up the battery terminals with baking soda and water, scrubbed with my wire brush, and reattached with dielectric grease. There was a little bit of white corrosion on the positive terminal. Started up strong after that.

I just cleaned the terminals this summer. Other than the grease, is there anything I can do to prevent more corrosion? I'm not looking forward to worrying about this once a month forever.
Unread 10-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plentyofenergy View Post
I just cleaned the terminals this summer. Other than the grease, is there anything I can do to prevent more corrosion? I'm not looking forward to worrying about this once a month forever.
Get an AGM battery?...
Unread 10-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #12
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cleaned up the battery terminals with baking soda and water, scrubbed with my wire brush, and reattached with dielectric grease. There was a little bit of white corrosion on the positive terminal. Started up strong after that.

Did you use dielectric grease the last time? That might have done the trick. Wish I could be of more help, I usually just scrub them with a wire brush and they're good to go.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
plentyofenergy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did use dielectric grease before, but maybe not enough. I slathered on a decent amount two weeks ago, and I'll monitor it every once in a while. I looked up the AGM battery option though. When it's time to replace, I'll definitely go that route if it means no vapors escaping the battery to cause corrosion.
Unread 10-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #14
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When it's time to replace, I'll definitely go that route if it means no vapors escaping the battery to cause corrosion.
AGM batteries are vented, but they don't cause corrosion like the flooded (wet) cell batteries. I'm using 2 AGM batteries that are about 10 years old and they still look the same as the day I bought them.

Sears DieHard platinum seems to be the battery of choice these days...
Unread 10-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
dave_dj1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They make a battery terminal spray, it smells like lacquer paint but protects them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.