Bad Axle Shaft U-joint Symtoms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad Axle Shaft U-joint Symtoms?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bad Axle Shaft U-joint Symptoms?

I'm wondering if I have a bad passenger side axle shaft u-joint. I've had a bit of steering wheel wobble especially when I make a sharp right hand turn and sometimes to a lesser extent, with a left hand turn. That and I get an intermittent sorta dry wobbly squeak that seems to go away when everything gets warmed up after 15-20 minutes driving. Does this sound anything like a u-joint? I ask because I notice that when I turn the driveshaft I get a bit more slop and turn of the front u-joint and shaft on the passenger side than the driver's. This is maybe 1/2" vs. 1/8" of movement. TIA

www.this-old-jeep.com

Last edited by Bren Gun; 05-31-2009 at 08:50 AM..
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
MooseMarine
JP'N MTBR

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are you turning the shaft or are you moving the ujoint up and down and side to side? If there is movement in the ujoint up and down or side to side then replace it. Could also maybe your wheel bearings.
|---L '[]lllllll[]'
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren Gun View Post
I'm wondering if I have a bad passenger side axle shaft u-joint. I've had a bit of steering wheel wobble especially when I make a sharp right hand turn and sometimes to a lesser extent, with a left hand turn. That and I get an intermittent sorta dry wobbly squeak that seems to go away when everything gets warmed up after 15-20 minutes driving. Does this sound anything like a u-joint? I ask because I notice that when I turn the driveshaft I get a bit more slop and turn of the front u-joint and shaft on the passenger side than the driver's. This is maybe 1/2" vs. 1/8" of movement. TIA
I have this as well, only when turning though, either direction. I have completely rebuilt both drivelines so that aint it. I'm going to start on the front end next. I have a little over 100k on it and the front end has only had fluid/brakes type maintenance. Probably time for wheel bearings, axle u-joints etc. Any suggestions for myself and the OP would be appreciated.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll try to move the actual u-joints today. I've done the old try to move the whole tire and wheel to check for ball joint slop and there's no movement there. I confess that I hadn't thought about the actual wheel bearing itself. Though maybe I'll jack up the front end and try to see if I have any roughness there.
www.this-old-jeep.com
Unread 05-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I checked them today. I confess that I hadn't actually thought of the wheel bearings before now, though they turn freely and with no real grinding or resistance. The axle shaft u-joints seem good, but how much play is too much. The driver's side doesn't budge really at all. The passenger side turns back and forth barely at all, like about 1/16th". (edit) I should have said that its not a an up and down or side to side movement, but rather just a rotational movement.) Is that too much? Are u-joints known for producing any other tell-tale signs as they get bad?
www.this-old-jeep.com

Last edited by Bren Gun; 05-31-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Unread 05-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
MooseMarine
JP'N MTBR

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure all ur zerks are greased up i.e. tre, and ball joints. Also check ur steering shaft u joints.
|---L '[]lllllll[]'
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, everything is greased up, and while the TRE's are in good shape, I'm going to replace them soon as they boots are torn and ooze grease frequently. The driveshaft's u-joints seem to be in good shape too, so that's why all of this is confusing. :?:
www.this-old-jeep.com
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
RustyzChopShop
2013 JK Wrangler 

i would think that if you have that problem only when you turn, the problem is in your outer u joint.
wht ever happened with this?
RustyzChopShop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyzChopShop View Post
i would think that if you have that problem only when you turn, the problem is in your outer u joint.
wht ever happened with this?
Still working on it. Just pulled the shaft today and working on trying to get the u-joint out. Trouble is, the outer shaft, old u-joint and inner shaft are all so rusted up from where they're exposed to the elements that I can't even seem to find the c-clips holding the joint in place. Any suggestions?
:EDIT: I should've said that I figured that it's the driver's side because when I lifted the front end on jacks in the air I got binding when I turned the wheel full lock (either right or left...) and spun the wheel. Now that I have the shafts out, the u-joint seems to move with no resistance. Is it bad? Dunno...
Figures, I thought that I'd have more trouble with removing the axle nut and/or the unti bearing, but they were a breeze, even all rusted up.
www.this-old-jeep.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.