Hey everyone, sorry if this turns out to be a long post, but I've been running on very little sleep due to exams. haha.
Over the past few days, I've noticed my jeep starting to act funny electrically. It just seemed to have a weak battery. For example, with the Jeep turned off and my dome light on, I could mash the brake pedal and when the brake lights lit up, my interior lights would dim. But it always started fine, never really hesitated or anything.
That was until today. After my exams today, I came out to the Jeep and went to start it and I had no power whatsoever. No dim lights, no clicking when trying to start, nothing. I thought for sure my Jeep had passed away on me
Well it finally started after jumping it off for a while. At first, it didn't want to run on its own, I had to keep it idled up or else it would stall. On the way home, I hopped on the interstate, and next thing I know, my voltage on the dash is pegged at 19+ with my warning light yelling at me.
So I limp it home, and shut it off for the night, and try to start it again. same deal. absolutely nothing.
so what do you guys think it is? battery kicked the bucket (Its about 3 years old, so a possibility), or is it a bad voltage regulator in the alternator. I've just never heard of a bad battery spiking with high voltage. Or has my alternator gone bad, in turn, frying my battery?
I'm just confused and I really can't afford to start throwing too much money at the Jeep aimlessly. Thank Y'all!!