Backspacing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Backspacing

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 05-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
tj01wrangler

Backspacing

How much backspacing do I need to get for 15x8 eagle alloy 102 wheels with 33x12.50 BFG All Terrain K/O's in order to get a mean look without having the tires stick out too far past my 01 sahara flares but also not rubbing the frame?

tj01wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think 4" BS is perfect. Doesnt stick out too far yet still has a wider stance.
greenmachine99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
cjdirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99
I think 4" BS is perfect. Doesnt stick out too far yet still has a wider stance.
I think the Eagle Alloys have a 3 1/4" or 3 1/2" BS. I got them on mine with 35" tires. For the bigger tires I like less backspacing, but for 33" AT's I would have to agree the 4" would be better. Mine stick out about 2" beyond the flares.
10" wide rims will do that too, stick with 8".
Axis makes a nice wheel called the REGULATOR. They run about a 4.25" BS. They work really well on a TJ. I had them on my last jeep.

My album shows tires sticking out pretty good with Eagles.
'02 "X" 4.0 AT - Lifted and locked on 35's, D44/4.10, ARB, GY MT/r's, Currie, JKS, MORE, AA/TW, Rancho, WARN 8274, Hansen, All-J custom bumpers, Poison Spyder, CO2, Cobra, Hella, and on and on: J.E.E.P.
[URL=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cjdirtbiker@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=75b8&.src=ph]Photo Album[/URL]
STOLEN 3/05: 99 TJ, built for trailrunning
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
cjdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've yet to find an AE 15x8 wheel that fits a Jeep with any more backspacing than 3.25". That's why I stopped using AE wheels on Jeeps, their wheels stick out more than I think is good with that small amount of backspacing. At the minimum, I'd use wheels with 3.75" of backspacing which is a pretty common backspace dimension. American Racing and ProComp's XTreme wheels are available with that amount of backspacing, among other brands.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
cjdirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
>snip
.. their wheels stick out more than I think is good with that small amount of backspacing.
>snip
Why is that bad? They're still not as wide as a full width axle, plus you're only talking about half to three quarters of an inch over a 12 1/2" tire. That's like 5%. I fail to see much difference (having had both) you just get a little more clearance between the tire and spring/control arms.

Help me out here.....???
'02 "X" 4.0 AT - Lifted and locked on 35's, D44/4.10, ARB, GY MT/r's, Currie, JKS, MORE, AA/TW, Rancho, WARN 8274, Hansen, All-J custom bumpers, Poison Spyder, CO2, Cobra, Hella, and on and on: J.E.E.P.
[URL=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cjdirtbiker@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=75b8&.src=ph]Photo Album[/URL]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Unread 05-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

unless your jeep has tube fenders, a wheel with less backspacing can get hung up on the edge of the flares, instead of staying on the "inside"
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
cjdirtbiker

numchuck; Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck
unless your jeep has tube fenders, a wheel with less backspacing can get hung up on the edge of the flares, instead of staying on the "inside"
Yeah, that makes sense. I think I've heard that somewhere before. I have a lot of clearance and no rubbing issues, at least not yet. But I haven't tried a ramp or to try and get all the flex possible and then get out and look. Guess I need to do that.

Jerry: we did John Bull last saturday, my first hard trail with the build up. Not a wimper or skid running through, worked awesome. My first time with a locker too!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
quickslvr_rubi

I have 4.0" Backspacing on my rubicon and they stick out about 1" - 1 1/2" and that's with the stock fender flares that are 4 inches wide rather than the 3 inch on the other TJ's.

5.5" Rock Krawler L.A. Kit, Rubicon Express Mono Tube Shocks, 305/7016 BFG M/T's on Moabs with SpiderTrax Spacers, KC SlimLites Fogs, Ramsey Patriot 9500lb winch, TKH bumper & tire/hi-lift carrier, Rokmen Rockers Cobra 18WX-ST II CB Radio w/ a 4 ft Wilson Antenna.

[SIZE=2][B][CENTER][URL=http://www.jeepinwv.com]Club Jeep West Virginia [/URL] Member [/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][B][CENTER][URL=http://www.rubiconownersforum.com]Rubicon Owners Forum[/URL] Member [/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][B][CENTER][URL=http://www.pghoffroad.com]PGH Offroad[/URL] Member [/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
quickslvr_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
Av Native

Ive got centerline 15x8 with 4.5" of BS, run 33x12.5 BFG mt's, The tire sticks out not quite one tread width on the stock tj flares (Not rubi or sahara), I get some junk on the body but not much, and I do have a slight rub prob on the lower control arms at full lock turn when aired down
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
Rocker

I run Bart 15x8's with 2" of backspacing with a 33x12.50 BFG mud terrain, it is nice and wide, really nice on side hills and other really sideways thing on the trail, plus its looks pretty mean comin down the road, I have a digital camera but I dont know how to post a pic so I cant show you how its looks, 2" BS is bad on bearings though, so 3.75" is prolly about right for what you want.
Cage ([COLOR=Blue]Bright Blue[/COLOR])
6" Lift and 33" BFG MT's
Custom Front and Rear Bumpers
Custom Rocker Guards
4 Squirrels Under the Hood
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.