Backpressure normal on stock exhaust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Backpressure normal on stock exhaust?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
TJ4JT
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Backpressure normal on stock exhaust?

2004 TJ Sport, 242ci I6, 5sp man... The RPM drop after a rev is a little slow for my liking. I would think that the quicker it is able to drop back to idle would be better. I feel like I'm not getting as much power to the wheels or trans b/c of the back-pressure. I'm not a mechanic, that's why I'm asking. Am I right? Do most people upgrade the exhaust, or is it something that most of the time is overlooked?

TJ4JT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Max-Q
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some backpressure on a normally aspirated engine is needed. The speed the engine revs up and down would be more related to the weight of the flywheel rather than the engine's backpressure.
Max-Q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
TJ4JT
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, Thank you for the insight. On an unrelated note, how do you like the rhinoliner? How much was it to install? How long was the cure time, if any? Do you still use your floor mats? I want to do it, but it's kind of semi-permanent, and I don't want to do something I'll regret...
TJ4JT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You really would not like my Taco. An '07 6-speed manual but the computer artificially keeps the RPM's hanging between shifts for some emissions reason. (yeah, if that really makes sense- burn more gas=lower emissions)

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You aren't going to see any real gains in power from exhaust mods if thats what you are asking. Oh and I have the Rhino liner too, and you definitely won't regret it! The only thing I regret is not doing it myself with U-POL Raptor. I paid $650 to have mine done and that included me tearing out the interior, where as I could have done it myself with the other kit for about $130 and I'm 100% sure my application would have looked more professional, which was unfortunately the entire reason I paid to have it done in the first place. Oh and to answer your other questions, I don't use floormats, or drain plugs for that matter and it was cure a day or two after they finished spraying, smell lasted a few days after that
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4JT View Post
Hey, Thank you for the insight. On an unrelated note, how do you like the rhinoliner? How much was it to install? How long was the cure time, if any? Do you still use your floor mats? I want to do it, but it's kind of semi-permanent, and I don't want to do something I'll regret...
You must not be married
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.