back of instrument cluster which connector goes where - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > back of instrument cluster which connector goes where

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 10-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Jeepsr4me

back of instrument cluster which connector goes where

I pulled apart a dash down to the bare frame. And was putting everything back in when I noticed the gauge cluster has 2 connectors (2000 model) and they are exactly alike. They can even be upside down. This has me stumped, as depending on which way the harness comes in the connectors can be on either side. I looked in the FSM and it gave me no clue. I didnt look too hard either seeing as its Saturday and foosball is killing most of my time.
one connector is gray and other is black. Which goes where?

Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You should be able to match up the colors, but I am almost certain that they are different enough that you can't plug them in wrong.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

I know for a FACT you can. upside down and in either connector.. The back of the cluster is white. Has no indication of which goes where or in what orientation. The 2 plugs, one is gray and other is black are exactly the same..
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

I am thinking the 2nd pic is the right way. The gray plug has the CCD +- wires.
And my FSM says that Green should have the CCD and its location I found using another dash post. Here.
red-jeep-gray-chassis-wiring-harness-fup-001.jpg  
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Jeepsr4me

here are the other ways those plugs can go in.
red-jeep-gray-chassis-wiring-harness-fup-002.jpg   red-jeep-gray-chassis-wiring-harness-fup-004.jpg  
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Jeepsr4me

See if the Monday morning tech crowd can tell me. I think I got it, but just need to be sure, and this post is good reference for those that do the same thing I did later.
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why did you pull the whole dash? I have a 2000 model and it has self-docking connectors. Are you replacing the wiring with a newer model harness?
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

I was changing tubs. The newer tub does not have the docking location. But it still would not matter. As if it did I still would need to know in what location to put the gray and the black.
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
3fifty

What year is your TJ?
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fifty View Post
What year is your TJ?
Its in the very 1st post.
Quote:
(2000 model)
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
3fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Its in the very 1st post.
I read it wrong. I thought you swapped in a 2000 model cluster and your tj was a different year.
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Jeepsr4me

Can you see back behind your cluster? Which way the harness lays behind the dash?
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the ’05 FSM so the page #s may be different but in the section 8W-80 they show the connector pin-outs. They are listed alphabetically so go to the instrument cluster connectors (C1 & C2). They show the wire colors of all the wires & their positions. By matching the colors you should be able to determine C1 from C2. Now go to 8W-91 & find the left side instrument panel diagram & see the position of the 2 connectors.

In ’05 the connectors are different & for some reason the colors aren’t identified but in figure 24 on 8W-91-32 it shows the C1 to be the one closer to the end of the harness which ends at the headlight leveling switch connector. That would appear to make it on the right if you are sitting in the seat looking at the cluster. It also looks like the “tabs” go to up. I don’t know how much difference there is from 2000 to 2005 but I hope this helps.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
Jeepsr4me

Yeah 05 is different. There connectors for that model are specific to each side and only go on 1 way. I just took a 05 down to the frame. its this 2000 that has me stumped. Well I say stumped, I think I figured it out using the wiring diagram, but for future reference I wanted someone to post a pic of their harness.

The cluster pins on back are done upside down and right to left, not like English left to right. I does say made in Japan. So thats the way they read books.
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
3fifty

Diagrams for 2000
greenc1.jpg   bluec2.jpg   ics.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.