B&M Transmission Cooler Install Question - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
DylanC7410
2006 TJ Wrangler 

B&M Transmission Cooler Install Question

On my transmission cooler lines they have this weird connecter piece on the hose how would I go about taking this off so I can tap into this line to pipe into my transmission cooler.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3507.jpg   IMG_3508.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 05:03 PM
jeepinjoeu
CO Trail Bandit

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
That is a crimped high pressure fitting onto the line, there is no taking that off and reinstalling it so don't pull or pry on that or it might leak in the future. You will want to tap into your lines elsewhere. Where do the instructions say to tap into?

01 TJ, 4.0, Auto, 33's, 3.5in RE Lift (SOLD)
01 TJ, 4.0, Auto, 35's, Locked Dana 44's, 5.38s, Atlas 2 4.3:1 (Crawler)
99 TJ, 4.0, Manual, 31's (Project)
96 ZJ, 5.2 V8 (DD)
post #3 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
DylanC7410
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjoeu View Post
That is a crimped high pressure fitting onto the line, there is no taking that off and reinstalling it so don't pull or pry on that or it might leak in the future. You will want to tap into your lines elsewhere. Where do the instructions say to tap into?
Instructions say to hook up cooler to transmission lines its very non descriptive. Ive also been hearing to just cut it off with an angle grinder

post #4 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 06:05 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cut the soft lines and use hose barb connectors.
azzkicker and DylanC7410 like this.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
DylanC7410
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Im just weighing out my options right now but if I do decide to take the route of cutting off that crimp how would one go about taking it off the nipple thing that comes out of the radiator side, would i need to cut the crimp off while its still attached to that line or what??
post #6 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
DylanC7410
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Upon further investigation my internet mechanic senses are telling me to cut the crimps I have borrowed a dremel from a friend so I wont be under the jeep with a ridiculously large angle grinder possibly cutting the actual line...So the technique seems to be cut a notch in the crimp and take a large screwdriver and pry the crimp open from there to reduce the risk of cutting the hard line. Ill post some pics up on my progress tomorrow
post #7 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 08:36 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

What are you talking about doing? Don't cut through a crimp. What good thing could possibly happen? You end up with one end that has a cut open crimp, and the other end has a stretched out rubber hose. What do you do with either end, other than head to the store to buy new lines?

Either cut the rubber a few inches from the crimp and use hose barbs and clamps, or make your life hard and cut the metal tubing then adapt hoses and clamps on that, but since they won't have barbs they are more likely to blow off and leave you stranded with no fluid.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #8 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

By the way, I suggest you figure out which line is coming out of the radiator, and tap the cooler into that. I could be talked into either strategy, but that one makes the most sense to me.

In that case, the hot or cold fluid would get closer to the radiator temp, then your aftermarket cooler takes it down a little more before returning it.

The other way around, you cool the fluid in your aftermarket cooler, then send it into the radiator to probably heat it back up.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #9 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 09:35 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzkicker View Post
By the way, I suggest you figure out which line is coming out of the radiator, and tap the cooler into that. I could be talked into either strategy, but that one makes the most sense to me.

In that case, the hot or cold fluid would get closer to the radiator temp, then your aftermarket cooler takes it down a little more before returning it.

The other way around, you cool the fluid in your aftermarket cooler, then send it into the radiator to probably heat it back up.
Cooler before or after radiator is a different debate. Personally, my cooler is before, but it doesn't change original question. Why anything other than cutting the soft line is an option I don't understand.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
DylanC7410
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So theres 2 crimps on both ends of the soft lines, I would cut those 2 crimps remove the old hose then use the new hose that the B&M Cooler comes with and their hose clamps. This is much easier than cutting into the hard line because I would need to buy extra parts from the store to connect the hoses. And Im not cutting into the soft line before the crimps because that would cause a very harsh angle if I do mate up the 2 ends also I would need to go out the the store to get 2 barbed connectors...The method that people have been using and had much success with is cutting the 2 crimps, trashing the old hose and using the BRAND NEW soft oil transmission lines and the PROVIDED hose clamps. Here is the EXACT model I have https://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCo...mission+cooler and Once I do cut off the crimps there is well a hard line underneath let me send you over to this link http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/r...-fixed-343472/ and look at post number #172 here: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/r...-fixed-343472/
post #11 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
DylanC7410
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzkicker View Post

I am going to be hooking up the transmission lines after the fluid gets cool through the radiator seems to be the most logical
post #12 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm too tired to sort through all that. I've had no problem cutting in to soft line with a little bit of space on either end and putting in barbed connections. Feels to me like you are making this much harder than this needs to be.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 10:33 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanC7410 View Post
I am going to be hooking up the transmission lines after the fluid gets cool through the radiator seems to be the most logical
It depends what your approach is. One version is cooler is always better. Second is there is a "right" temp for transmission fluid. Opinions vary.
post #14 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
DylanC7410
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I'm too tired to sort through all that. I've had no problem cutting in to soft line with a little bit of space on either end and putting in barbed connections. Feels to me like you are making this much harder than this needs to be.
Cutting the crimps and cutting the soft line are really the same thing but if I cut my soft lines I will need to search for something connect the 2 soft lines but cutting a slot in the 2 crimps then prying them open will take no more than 5 minutes then drop the old hose out and replace the old line with the new line from this kit and add 2 hose clamps per end to ensure more security then im done and i dont have to run to the store again and ill be efficient in using what is provided in the kit. Also take a look at this video to get a better idea of whats going to be going on https://youtu.be/ZCyFgrZfOF0?t=4m10s
post #15 of 25 Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

In your link they have both ports on the aux cooler facing down. They should be facing to the side (input on the bottom) or facing up and it doesn't matter which port is the input.
I also put the aux cooler before the radiator...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.