Axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axles

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Telnet

Axles

I have a 2001 tj and im going to swap the fluid for new. and do i need friction modifier to add to the oil or ???

I have

dana 30

dana 35

Also what RTV should i use ??

Thanks Jacob

Last edited by Telnet; 08-04-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Telnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Friction modifier? What the hell is that? Check the FAQ that lists those kinds of things...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...cities-489932/

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Telnet

"*4 oz of friction modifier is required with Trac-Lok limited slip differential." im not sure if the axles have the Trac-Lok
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry...wasn't thinking. My axles don't use it and I forgot that some limited slips do.

Most of the time, you won't have any problems if you just use a gear oil that's recommended for use in limited slip axles. It will say that on the container. Sometimes, you might have to buy an additive, but don't do this up front...just change the oil and see what happens. If you start hearing a chirping from the rear, add a little bit to the pumpkin to quiet it.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Telnet

does a 2001 tj dana 30, dana 35 have a limited slip ??
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some do, some don't. I believe it was a factory option. I have a 2000 with the 30/35 combo, and 3.73 gears, and mine does have the trak-lock, so I use a friction modifier in the rear only, along with oil for limited slips. I'm not sure if the trak-lock came on all 3.73s or not. If you're not in a hurry you can always request a free build sheet and see what it says. The tag on the axle MIGHT say if you have it or not too. I'll go check mine and see if it does.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just checked. The little tag on my pumpkin specifically states "USE LIM SLIP LUBE" so that's also how I knew I had it. See if it says it on your tag. It'll be the tag that is only held on by one bolt, on mine it's on the right side. As for RTV, I just used the black stuff, I think it just said RTV gasket sealant or something.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
...just change the oil and see what happens. If you start hearing a chirping from the rear, add a little bit to the pumpkin to quiet it.
How about he determines whether or not he has a limited slip differential and then puts the proper fluid in it?

If you have stock differentials the front D30 is open and doesn't need the friction modifier.

Jack up the rear wheels and rotate one of them. If the opposite wheel rotates in the same direction you have the trac-loc and need the friction modifier. If the opposite wheel rotates in the opposite direction you have an open differential and don't need the friction modifier.

Tags
rtv , fluid , axle , d30 , d35 , dana 30 , dana 35

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.