axle width????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > axle width?????

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
jeepmutiny
2000 TJ Wrangler 

axle width?????

OK I am going shopping for some used axles this week and wanted to run over the options list. I am gonna go GM 14 bolt in the rear after considering price and strength. my question is would the 63" wide dually rear be wide enough for a 38/15 tire? It is basically 3" wider than stock and I am planning on huge articulation F&R somewhere in the 14-20 range with coil overs......Thanks Jon

jeepmutiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not in my opinion. You're going to need to go wide, like 68"+.

And 14-20" is quite the range. That's like saying you've got your unborn son's name narrowed down to something starting with a letter between A and Z. Might want to determine how much travel your constraints can handle first.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The width of the front axle is gonna be more fun to deal with.
You might start planning what front axle and what steering (high steer?), and let that determine your wheel size & backspacing, and let that somewhat dictate your rear axle width.
That's just my 2 cents though.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

20 inches of travel is quite the bit of travel, idk if you're talking about right at the WMS or 20 at the shock, but the shocks of most off the shelf 4 inch lifts don't even have half that amount of travel after bumpstopping apprpriately. The suspension will dictate pretty much everything else on the rig...especially when you're working with a big V8 under the hood.
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In order to make that work, you are going to have to make significant modifications to your frame as well as run wheels with very little backspacing. I tried it with 39.5" x 13.5" iroks and 12" shocks and ended up converting my 63" axle to a 67" axle to make it work. I have H2 wheels and I could have just gotten new wheels with significantly less backspacing but then I would have also had to narrow my front axle which costs more and takes longer than not doing so. I also have been led to believe that 5.5" backspacing is better for steering than 3" backspacing.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
jeepmutiny
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking custom 4 link rear to handle my 500 HP and 13" lift rear. Also extending the rear so the tire is even with the rear bumper with Black widow extended cut outs and I have moved the rear body mounts inboard of the frame rail already. Coil overs in the rear with 14" of articulation, limit straps and extended bump stops. Front I am thinking extended black widow flat fenders, I hate plastic LOL. Custom three link both front and rear meeting at the halfway mark on a custom skid plate. Something like a model a lower link on top and two lowers. All cro- mo front and rear. Looking for 20" front with coil covers and extending 6" front wheelbase. Axle ? Well the only thing for a reasonably strong front is a D60, was thinking portals but gear ratios were limited same as a 5 ton Rockwell 7.88-1 is kinda extreme for a road vehicle (barely). I will have limiters and bump stops up front, thinking 12" front lift for some rake. So should I go with the 67" Gm Corporate? I do not mind eight lugs and the drum brakes on our dump truck stop 12000 LBS with ease so NP there except the monster 14/6 drums weigh about 100 LBS with no hub.....Jon
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just want to see how this plays out.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
jeepmutiny
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oh BTW the frame is stripped of all brackets. Out with the old in with the Bigger. With the above statement some horrible pictures flashed in my mind Twist, Crunch Splat LOL..... Jon
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
jeepmutiny
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Built mud boggers , tractor pullers, drag cars and boats so why not. Everyone thought old Bobby Chandler was crazy and look what he started. I admittedly haven't fully tested all the logistics, I am starting with a cad print and trying some test models first. Both my father and I have engineering experience and he has the programs to run my ideas through the ringer. If all fails I have a really fast Roof Mower and I'll mount a 72" finish mower underneath LOL.......Jon
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmutiny View Post
I was thinking custom 4 link rear to handle my 500 HP and 13" lift rear. Also extending the rear so the tire is even with the rear bumper with Black widow extended cut outs and I have moved the rear body mounts inboard of the frame rail already. Coil overs in the rear with 14" of articulation, limit straps and extended bump stops. Front I am thinking extended black widow flat fenders, I hate plastic LOL. Custom three link both front and rear meeting at the halfway mark on a custom skid plate. Something like a model a lower link on top and two lowers. All cro- mo front and rear. Looking for 20" front with coil covers and extending 6" front wheelbase. Axle ? Well the only thing for a reasonably strong front is a D60, was thinking portals but gear ratios were limited same as a 5 ton Rockwell 7.88-1 is kinda extreme for a road vehicle (barely). I will have limiters and bump stops up front, thinking 12" front lift for some rake. So should I go with the 67" Gm Corporate? I do not mind eight lugs and the drum brakes on our dump truck stop 12000 LBS with ease so NP there except the monster 14/6 drums weigh about 100 LBS with no hub.....Jon
Based on my very limited experience, I would recommend going for the wider axle. What is the reason you are looking at the 63" axle first?
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_p_adams View Post
Based on my very limited experience, I would recommend going for the wider axle. What is the reason you are looking at the 63" axle first?
The cool thing about a 14 bolt is a cab and chassie ( C&C ) if your not happy with the width you can swap on SRW ( single rear wheel hubs ) and bump the wms out to 67 inch's.
The shafts are the same the spindle location is the same the only thing that changes is the brake flange, that will be further out on the SRW axles

But that only moves the wms out and not the room on the axle tubes for building, so if more room on the tubes is needed then a DRW ( duel rear wheel ) axle will be needed witch is 72" wms.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
The cool thing about a 14 bolt is a cab and chassie ( C&C ) if your not happy with the width you can swap on SRW ( single rear wheel hubs ) and bump the wms out to 67 inch's.
The shafts are the same the spindle location is the same the only thing that changes is the brake flange, that will be further out on the SRW axles

But that only moves the wms out and not the room on the axle tubes for building, so if more room on the tubes is needed then a DRW ( duel rear wheel ) axle will be needed witch is 72" wms.

Jason.
I ended up doing just that. I made some new brake mounting flanges so I could use the disc brake brakets I had. It would have been much easier to buy the wider axle. Of course with the set up I have now, I could conceivable convert my axle back and forth between 63" and 67" by just switching out hubs and moving the brackets to the appropriate flange. I'm not sure how useful being able to do that really is though...

Unread 07-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_p_adams View Post
I'm not sure how useful being able to do that really is though...
I was just pointing out that the axles have the same amount of room up to the brake flange on the tubes with two different wms, so before the op thinks he needs to find a SRW it will be the same.
Of course up to the break flange, then you do pick up two more inch's each side to build off, but now you need ( like you ) custom brake flanges to mount a brake brackets onto.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Speed94
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im in too
97 TJ PD club member #007
Speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.