Axle Swap Tech, Question About Drum Brake Assembly Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle Swap Tech, Question About Drum Brake Assembly Removal

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Axle Swap Tech, Question About Drum Brake Assembly Removal

I picked up a set of 4.11 axles from a 1997 4 cylinder yesterday, cost was $360. The axles are in average shape clearly they will need brake work and some other miscellaneous stuff. My goal is to keep cost low so I will be using parts from my current dana 30/35 as I know many of these components have been well cared for and are in great working order.

I have never done my own brake work, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. Last month I had my rear drums rebuilt. My questions is, is there any way I can completely remove the drum brake assembly, without tearing it apart, and swap it onto my new dana 35 axle?

01TJfuntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes
undo the brake line. Then there are 4 buts that hold it to the axle housing

***WARNING***
you will need to bleed the brake system after this install
Unread 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I figured, does anybody know what the torque specs are for those four bolts?
01TJfuntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Even easier would be to pull the axle shaft and then unbolt the backing plate and let it hang. Then undue the brake lines from the axle so they hang free. Then put your new axle in and reinstall. No bleeding. You need to change fluid in rear anyhow so dump it and pull the axles. They are easy to remove. Just spin the carrier till you see a little bolt and remove it. Then slide out the cross pin. Then push in on the axles (near brakes) and remove the C-clips and then pull axles.
Unread 01-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Coops
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you do not pull the brake lines off the cylinders it will be very tricky to get the backing plates off and out of the way to pull the axle. I'd also worry about bending the lines if you leave it all together. I undid the lines, tied the solid line from the axle to the frame and then tied the assembly forward with e-brakes still attached. You can try and use an open ended wrench to take the lines off but it probably won't work. I used a good set of vise grips to crack them loose and then used the wrench. Bleeding the brake lines is easy, you just need a friend.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.