Axle Swap - ?'s about compatibility d44 to d35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle Swap - ?'s about compatibility d44 to d35

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
S_nner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Axle Swap - ?'s about compatibility d44 to d35

Okay I am having trouble finding a Dana 44 to swap out with my broke one. Found a Dana 35 for great price and I know without matching gearing I cant go into 4x4 and the dana 35 has disk breaks when I currently have drum breaks... will that be a problem or is that an easy issue when swapping out the axle's?
I also know that until I do find my Dana 44 LS that I wont be able to go off road cuz the dana 35 can't handle it... other than that is it okay if I down grade my dana 44 temporarily to a 35 ...? (daily driver and need it back up and running)
-- Matt

S_nner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What is wrong with your d44?
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did a search on car-part.com shows a 44 in your area 3.73 ratio for $990
www.car-part.com
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
MainleyMud
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on a lot of other questions being answered as well. The Axle housing are different and may not fit your suspension. I'd fix the 44, you're probably going to be out less money and less frustration.
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mounting a TJ Dana 35 will be a straight swap. The Dana 35 E-brake cables should be compatible (if you have them) with your parking brake assembly.

Your Dana 44 driveshaft may be too short, as the Dana 44 has a longer snout.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on what did your break on the D44. just rebuild/fix it.
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
S_nner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Both my ring and pinion broke a tooth off... so rebuilding it in my area is around 800 so I was looking into doing swaps instead because I can do swaps compared to the expertise needed for the rebuilding of the differential....
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

rebuild with better parts call it good, its a great time to regear it, and throw a locker in it
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
S_nner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I don't have the skill set or the tools ( micrometer) to do the rebuild or I would.... the rebuild will run me 800 to do it somewhere else with USA ring and pinion and bearing kit if I re-gear the back then I have to re-gear the front, correct? that would put my way over budget... now can I throw a locker into the d44 3.73 and if so what advantages does that give me and what would that run for the locker? ( I'm a total noob btw)
Unread 07-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you kidding me! Phoenix is about 3 million people, there isn’t a junk yard with a D44 for sale? The ring and pinion and master install kit cost $400, if you can get someone to do it for $800 that’s $400 labor, not that much if they know what they’re doing, I’d just have it done. A D35 is a step backwards, I wouldn’t recommend it. Have you been to a wrecking yard and had them look for an axle for you in their computer? They have access to a lot of sources.
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , breaks , dana 35 , dana 44 , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.