Axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle swap

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
stockstuck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Axle swap

so lets pretend i have very little mechanically. well we dont have to pretend. id like to do an axle swap from my stock dana 30's with 3.07 to something that would run 33's tires. i guess a dana 44 would work, right? is it possible to swap just the differential without swapping the entire axle? would that work?
what should i do to run 33's? I really dont wanna spend much. thanks.
new to this, ive been tryin to learn as much as possible.

stockstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstuck View Post
so lets pretend i have very little mechanically. well we dont have to pretend. id like to do an axle swap from my stock dana 30's with 3.07 to something that would run 33's tires. i guess a dana 44 would work, right? is it possible to swap just the differential without swapping the entire axle? would that work?
what should i do to run 33's? I really dont wanna spend much. thanks.
new to this, ive been tryin to learn as much as possible.
IMO dont wast your money one a D30. With that said you can regear the D30 you have now to run the 33's but you also would have to regear the rear. If you dont want to spend that much money find you a D30 from a junk yard with 410 gears and also pull the 410 gears out of the rear axle and install them in your rear axle . I choose to buy a bolt in D44 G2 axle that came with a tru track LS and 456 gears and had my rear D44 regeared to 456. That ran me about $2200. I saved to get what I wanted due to the fact of braking an axle in the D30. Good Luck!!
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
03JeepX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well what you have will run 33's. I run that set-up myself. I have the auto I6 and it still has plenty of power.

EDIT: I shouldnt say plenty, I should say enough lol

Last edited by 03JeepX; 07-23-2010 at 09:18 AM..
03JeepX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^ this is true as well

Tags
axle , axle swap , differential swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.