Axle swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
stockstuck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Axle swap

so lets pretend i have very little mechanically. well we dont have to pretend. id like to do an axle swap from my stock dana 30's with 3.07 to something that would run 33's tires. i guess a dana 44 would work, right? is it possible to swap just the differential without swapping the entire axle? would that work?
what should i do to run 33's? I really dont wanna spend much. thanks.
new to this, ive been tryin to learn as much as possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstuck View Post
so lets pretend i have very little mechanically. well we dont have to pretend. id like to do an axle swap from my stock dana 30's with 3.07 to something that would run 33's tires. i guess a dana 44 would work, right? is it possible to swap just the differential without swapping the entire axle? would that work?
what should i do to run 33's? I really dont wanna spend much. thanks.
new to this, ive been tryin to learn as much as possible.
IMO dont wast your money one a D30. With that said you can regear the D30 you have now to run the 33's but you also would have to regear the rear. If you dont want to spend that much money find you a D30 from a junk yard with 410 gears and also pull the 410 gears out of the rear axle and install them in your rear axle . I choose to buy a bolt in D44 G2 axle that came with a tru track LS and 456 gears and had my rear D44 regeared to 456. That ran me about $2200. I saved to get what I wanted due to the fact of braking an axle in the D30. Good Luck!!

She is a Work in Progress!!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
03JeepX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well what you have will run 33's. I run that set-up myself. I have the auto I6 and it still has plenty of power.

EDIT: I shouldnt say plenty, I should say enough lol

Last edited by 03JeepX; 07-23-2010 at 09:18 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Heliparker
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^ this is true as well

She is a Work in Progress!!

Tags
axle , axle swap , differential swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.