axle strength - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > axle strength

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
snakespat

axle strength

will the stock dana 30/35 axles hold up with lockers, 32 or 33 inch tires, and a six cylinder? how much did folks out there pay to upgrade axles and what did you get?
thanks.

snakespat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

30 will, but I wouldn't count on the 35 holding up.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
powerchuck

Like igofshn said, you risk breaking axles with the d35. I paid like $670 a couple years ago @ 4Wheel parts for D44 upgrade at the same time they did some other stuff like gears. - which brings up another point - you probably want to regear when you go up to 33's .
'00 TJ 4.0 - 4" Currie Lift w/Johnny Joint arms & Rancho RS 9000s / Currie front Tracbar / JKS Disco's / 33" M/T's / D44 with 4.56s & ARB's Front & Rear / ARB Bull Bumper w/ Warn 9000i Winch & QA3 - Solar Yellow

[URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3276845093]Sledgehammer Canyon Pix[/URL]

[URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/review.html?id=4285904313]Rubicon Trail Pix[/URL]

[URL=http://www.geared4fun.com]Geared 4 Fun - 4 X 4 club[/URL]
powerchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakespat
will the stock dana 30/35 axles hold up with lockers, 32 or 33 inch tires, and a six cylinder? how much did folks out there pay to upgrade axles and what did you get?
thanks.

If you had a 4 banger and 32's you would be okay, as long as you don't hammer the skinny pedal..............but you have a 6, so I wouldn't even consider it until you do the upgrade.

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
lavoo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorocks

If you had a 4 banger and 32's you would be okay, as long as you don't hammer the skinny pedal..............but you have a 6, so I wouldn't even consider it until you do the upgrade.
I have an I6 with 30/35 set up and run 32's. I pretty much don't use 5th unless straight aways on the highway, and I'm fine with it, i still travel my 70-74 top speed, and don't need more than that. As far as lockers go, I wouldn't do more than a locker up front. That should be fine for you. Anything more you will need at least a super 35 kit or D44.
my .02
[COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy]98 TJ , 4" sl & 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, FourXDoctor rockers ,Poison Spyder Trail Stinger bumper & corner guards, Custom air tank rear bumper,Banks Header, Raingler nets, Warn 9000 ,... plus many extras..[/COLOR][/COLOR]
lavoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.