axle strength - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > axle strength

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-09-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
snakespat

axle strength

will the stock dana 30/35 axles hold up with lockers, 32 or 33 inch tires, and a six cylinder? how much did folks out there pay to upgrade axles and what did you get?
thanks.

snakespat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

30 will, but I wouldn't count on the 35 holding up.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
powerchuck

Like igofshn said, you risk breaking axles with the d35. I paid like $670 a couple years ago @ 4Wheel parts for D44 upgrade at the same time they did some other stuff like gears. - which brings up another point - you probably want to regear when you go up to 33's .
'00 TJ 4.0 - 4" Currie Lift w/Johnny Joint arms & Rancho RS 9000s / Currie front Tracbar / JKS Disco's / 33" M/T's / D44 with 4.56s & ARB's Front & Rear / ARB Bull Bumper w/ Warn 9000i Winch & QA3 - Solar Yellow

[URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3276845093]Sledgehammer Canyon Pix[/URL]

[URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/review.html?id=4285904313]Rubicon Trail Pix[/URL]

[URL=http://www.geared4fun.com]Geared 4 Fun - 4 X 4 club[/URL]
powerchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakespat
will the stock dana 30/35 axles hold up with lockers, 32 or 33 inch tires, and a six cylinder? how much did folks out there pay to upgrade axles and what did you get?
thanks.

If you had a 4 banger and 32's you would be okay, as long as you don't hammer the skinny pedal..............but you have a 6, so I wouldn't even consider it until you do the upgrade.

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2004, 06:35 AM   #5
lavoo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorocks

If you had a 4 banger and 32's you would be okay, as long as you don't hammer the skinny pedal..............but you have a 6, so I wouldn't even consider it until you do the upgrade.
I have an I6 with 30/35 set up and run 32's. I pretty much don't use 5th unless straight aways on the highway, and I'm fine with it, i still travel my 70-74 top speed, and don't need more than that. As far as lockers go, I wouldn't do more than a locker up front. That should be fine for you. Anything more you will need at least a super 35 kit or D44.
my .02
[COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy]98 TJ , 4" sl & 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, FourXDoctor rockers ,Poison Spyder Trail Stinger bumper & corner guards, Custom air tank rear bumper,Banks Header, Raingler nets, Warn 9000 ,... plus many extras..[/COLOR][/COLOR]
lavoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.