Axle RTV Remover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle RTV Remover

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-17-2004, 06:30 AM   #1
SpitNine

Axle RTV Remover

I changed the oil in the rear differential and was scraping off the old RTV. Once I got the big chunks off with a razor blade scraper I used on of those grey paint remover pads from 3M (they look like the green scouring pads for pots but much more coarse) to get the rest of the RTV off. It worked great and fast.
BTW, I experimented with using just a gasket coated both sides with grease instead of RTV. So far, since last Saturday, no leaks and I did a two hour, 70mph run down the Interstate since then.
Got the gasket/grease tip from another poster here a few weeks ago.
Thanks.

Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
wyldejackyl

You use scotchbrite, I use 600 grit sandpaper with alcohol as a cutting lube. Either way, that RTV crap is coming off!
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #3
skifast1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl
You use scotchbrite, I use 600 grit sandpaper with alcohol as a cutting lube. Either way, that RTV crap is coming off!
Tip: wear mechanic's gloves when scouring the RTV off. The inside edge of the sealing surface is really sharp and can slice your finger when you're scouring.
skifast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:45 AM   #4
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifast1
Tip: wear mechanic's gloves when scouring the RTV off. The inside edge of the sealing surface is really sharp and can slice your finger when you're scouring.
Sounds like something learned from experience! Hope you weren't cut up too badly!
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 07:36 AM   #5
skifast1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Sounds like something learned from experience! Hope you weren't cut up too badly!
Just bad enough to convince me to invest in a good pair of gloves! Besides, now me and my TJ are 'blood brothers'
skifast1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.