Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Axle, pinion gear and diff lock upgrades

585 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JimSmith 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum and new to tbe Jeep world. I have a 2005 TJ with 71,000 miles, automatic trans with 4.0L I6. It has a 4" lift with 33's. I've done a good bit I'm looking to do some moderate wheeling as I spend a lot of time in the San Bernardino Mountains. I want to upgrade to Dana44 axels, lowering the gear ratio and locking diffs. Is it possible to do this by utilizing the stock axel housings and possibly upgrading those later? I'm trying to do this in stages, due to funding. Anyone out there with some guidance on this issue and could share some feedback would be welcome. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#2 ·
You may have a D44 rear already, we don't know.
It will help if you fill in the Jeep info in your profile.
Unless you have a Rubicon you don't have a D44 in the front.
Having a Dana 44 is the whole housing, not just the carrier or shafts. So, if you don't have D44s and you upgrade to D44s you are replacing the whole housing.
I'm going to suggest 4.88 gears with the auto and 33s. Someone will come along soon to say I'm wrong and I must be crazy.
Since you said you want to ad lockers, I'm assuming your probably don't have a Rubicon. That means you have a D30 front axle. That can easily be built to survive wheeling on 33s without swapping it for a D44.
Tell us more about the type of wheeling you want to do and what your budget is and fill in your profile so we can give you better, more specific, advise.

#4 ·
If the Jeep is mostly used on road I don't know if I'd recommend that.
A stock Rubicon with the 42RLE should be turning around 2185RPMs at 70mph.
With 33s and 4.88s he would be turning around 2400RPMs at 70mph.
5.13s would put him up around 2523RPMs.
If it is a mostly off road rig, definately!
If the owner doesn't give two squirts about fuel mileage, then good to go with 5.13.
But, that's just my thoughts on it.
I think a mostly on road rig with a 42RLE and 35's is ok with 5.38s, but a mainly off road one should run 5.89s.
But, you know what they say about opinions...

Reactions: ridinsurf66
#5 ·
Are those RPMs with OD? There is to consider that the stock gearing is too little. I have no personal experience with what's best here, just sharing what I have heard so OP can make a well informed choice.

Once you start looking into gearing you're probably going to want to do lockers at the same time to save on labor. I have found that money spent on axles is easily the single most expensive upgrade you'll do (aside from maybe an engine).

#7 ·
It's primarily an off road Jeep. It's definitely not a daily driver. I spend a good amount of time in Big Bear, CA so I would be doing some moderate off roading. So you're saying I could regear matching front and back, upgrade rear axel to Dana44 and keep the stock D30 up front?

#8 ·
Yes, your gears front and rear have to match.
If mostly offroad, the 5.13s are going to be your best bet.
Are you sure you don't already have a D44 rear axle?
Yes, you can improve the front axle to work just fine with 33s without doing a swap.
You will want to regear and lock at the same time to avoid replacing some of the parts twice and paying labor twice.

I didn't see where you answered any questions about your Jeep as it sits or your budget?

#9 ·
The Jeep budget. Well, I'm married and have 2 kids, so the Jeep budget is tight. I can do things incrementally. I wish I could throw 7-8 grand on a new drive train, but it ain't happening. However, I do want to do it right and fiscally responsible.

#10 ·
If you have a D35 rear, you will want to either swap it for a D44 or install a Super 35 kit.
You want to do the re-gear and lockers at the same time.
You have to have the same gears front and rear unless you want to do the rear first and run with no front driveshaft and have a 2wd Jeep until you can afford to do the front.
Installing quality high strength chromoly axle shafts in the front will allow your D30 to live with the 33s offroad just fine. That can be done before or after the re-gear.

You will also want to think about upgrading your brakes to go along with all of this. Not necessarily at the same time as anything else, but you will want to do it.

You will also eventually want stronger steering linkage if you don't already have that.

What kind of lift do you have? Do you have a SYE and CV driveshaft?

#11 ·
I think it's CV but I'm not totally sure. The lift is a basic spring lift from what I can tell. Like I said, im VERY new to this Jeep stuff. Do the 2005 TJ's come stock with a steering dampener? There is one mounted. I do have a Currie steering linkage available to me through a friend for a good deal also. Another question, can the stock axel housings be used for axel upgrades? Thanks again for the info, I really do appreciate it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.