Axle not centered - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle not centered

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Reply
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Ulumanati
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 356
Axle not centered

Okay so it seem my axle sticks out further on the drivers side more than the passenger and while I do know that it's a trackbar issue, my Nth suspension already comes with a specific front trackbar relocator and I have already isconnected it an shook the vehicle, then reconnected but it's still somewhat shifted.

You can see the springs being pulled more towards drivers side like bowed from the sides. What could be the answer?

__________________
2004 Silver Jeep Rubicon
6" Nth Degree Longarm Kit
Ulumanati is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
lumpster
Web Wheeler
 
lumpster's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kansas City MO
Posts: 4,673
adjust the trackbar, if its not adjustable buy one that is.


lock thread.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Don't ask me to repeat or remember those prices, I may be grumpy tomorrow and either double them or quit altogether.



Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Ulumanati
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
adjust the trackbar, if its not adjustable buy one that is.


lock thread.....
Right.. I know to adjust trackbar but the thing is you shouldn't need one with this Nth suspension. It came with a WJ trackbar supplied and the drop down brackets and everything so I would think it would line up.

I just wanted to know if any Nth users had any experience with this.
__________________
2004 Silver Jeep Rubicon
6" Nth Degree Longarm Kit
Ulumanati is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
MFortie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 198
My Nth front track bar kit has an adjustable drop to 'help' center the axle based on lift height. I need to move mine over just a bit as well. AEV's install guide basically says centering the axle is a 'best effort' task and you shouldn't really expect the axle to be perfectly centered.

Here's a link to their install guides -- read the install doc and you'll see for yourself. American Expedition Vehicles - Product Documents
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
JeepnBlake
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
My Nth front track bar kit has an adjustable drop to 'help' center the axle based on lift height. I need to move mine over just a bit as well. AEV's install guide basically says centering the axle is a 'best effort' task and you shouldn't really expect the axle to be perfectly centered.

Here's a link to their install guides -- read the install doc and you'll see for yourself. American Expedition Vehicles - Product Documents
That's craptastic... I don't very much like their description at all.. Basically a you lifted it, prepare for no handling.

Anyway to help out the OP if your axle is too far out the drivers side, and not far enough under the passenger side, you track bar is too short.
__________________
-Blake-

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Ulumanati
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
My Nth front track bar kit has an adjustable drop to 'help' center the axle based on lift height. I need to move mine over just a bit as well. AEV's install guide basically says centering the axle is a 'best effort' task and you shouldn't really expect the axle to be perfectly centered.

Here's a link to their install guides -- read the install doc and you'll see for yourself. American Expedition Vehicles - Product Documents
Thanks for the tip, lol it's strange that Nth supensions being so "above" everything else and expensive, you'd think it wouldn't just be a best effort but I guess no one suspension is perfect. I'll be sure to look it over tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
That's craptastic... I don't very much like their description at all.. Basically a you lifted it, prepare for no handling.

Anyway to help out the OP if your axle is too far out the drivers side, and not far enough under the passenger side, you track bar is too short.
What are the drawbacks to the axle not being centered? Mine is not off by too much so mAybe I'm just being paranoid. It doesn't seem to drive weird or anything, but will it wear anything out more?

You can tell the control arms and springs are tilting more toward the drivers side so it must be somewhat significant.. I'm just scared when I reinstall my front driveshaft, that it won't be lined up from TC to diff and maybe bind the ujoints.
__________________
2004 Silver Jeep Rubicon
6" Nth Degree Longarm Kit
Ulumanati is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
JeepnBlake
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 3,113
Well if you're OCD it's going to bug the crap out of you like it bugged me. That's all I got, its doubtful it's off far enough that your steering will be off, but maybe it is, who knows.
__________________
-Blake-

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
lumpster
Web Wheeler
 
lumpster's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kansas City MO
Posts: 4,673
there are alot of jeeps out there on 2 inch BB that havent done anything about track bars front or rear, they drive fine. Its mostly a look thing, OCD thing(i fall in this catagory), or a clearance thing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Don't ask me to repeat or remember those prices, I may be grumpy tomorrow and either double them or quit altogether.



Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
R0cket
Registered User
1930 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Posts: 937
i had to have my lineman sized roommate push my jeep over while i installed my track bar.... i had him slam into it and i eyeballed where it came to and adjusted the trackbar to that then did little adjustments while he pushed with all his weight to line it up.... mine is now lined up perfectly.
__________________
Ian
AME2 USN, Disabled Vet
R0cket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
MFortie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
That's craptastic... I don't very much like their description at all.. Basically a you lifted it, prepare for no handling.

Anyway to help out the OP if your axle is too far out the drivers side, and not far enough under the passenger side, you track bar is too short.
Well, I guess you just hafta drive one...

Mine is the best handling Jeep I've ever driven -- not that I've driven more than a dozen or so different Jeeps. I pulled off a RE 3.5" full kit to install the AEV/Nth. No comparison. I installed the RE kit on my buddy's 2000 TJ for him and drove it before and after for comparison as well.

Not sure what you're referring to with handling anyway -- the axle will shift side to side in relation to the frame as the suspension compresses/extends because of the nature of a track bar setup. I'm more concerned that at full stuff my bumpstops are actually being used for their intended purpose than whether my axle is sitting 'pretty' at a standstill (on a level surface, with no additional weight in the Jeep, yadda, yadda, yadda.)

If your thrust angles are good, it shouldn't make a heck of a lot of difference if your axles are perfectly in line. My rear thrust angle is still out by 5/8" (yeah, I still need to get around to remedying that) and it still drives beautifully!

YMMV

Mark
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
JeepnBlake
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Well, I guess you just hafta drive one...

Mine is the best handling Jeep I've ever driven -- not that I've driven more than a dozen or so different Jeeps. I pulled off a RE 3.5" full kit to install the AEV/Nth. No comparison. I installed the RE kit on my buddy's 2000 TJ for him and drove it before and after for comparison as well.

Not sure what you're referring to with handling anyway -- the axle will shift side to side in relation to the frame as the suspension compresses/extends because of the nature of a track bar setup. I'm more concerned that at full stuff my bumpstops are actually being used for their intended purpose than whether my axle is sitting 'pretty' at a standstill (on a level surface, with no additional weight in the Jeep, yadda, yadda, yadda.)

If your thrust angles are good, it shouldn't make a heck of a lot of difference if your axles are perfectly in line. My rear thrust angle is still out by 5/8" (yeah, I still need to get around to remedying that) and it still drives beautifully!

YMMV

Mark
Not saying it doesn't drive nicely, I'm just saying since AEV/Nth makes such a big deal about lift and "high" speed handling it just strikes me as kind of bizarre that they say it's a "make the best of" when it comes to track bars is all.
__________________
-Blake-

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
crgrissom
Master of Reality
 
crgrissom's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0cket View Post
i had to have my lineman sized roommate push my jeep over while i installed my track bar.... i had him slam into it and i eyeballed where it came to and adjusted the trackbar to that then did little adjustments while he pushed with all his weight to line it up.... mine is now lined up perfectly.
That's about the best way to get the rear one done, but for the front, the easy thing to do is get the wheels straight, then disconnect the trackbar at the axle end, and use the steering wheel to get the axle to the desired left-right position. Then adjust the trackbar accordingly and bolt it in. You'll have to recenter your steering wheel, of course.

That's assuming you have an adjustable front trackbar.

Chuck
__________________
Chuck Grissom
Black Jeep Society Member
My Jeep

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
R0cket
Registered User
1930 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgrissom View Post
That's about the best way to get the rear one done, but for the front, the easy thing to do is get the wheels straight, then disconnect the trackbar at the axle end, and use the steering wheel to get the axle to the desired left-right position. Then adjust the trackbar accordingly and bolt it in. You'll have to recenter your steering wheel, of course.

That's assuming you have an adjustable front trackbar.

Chuck
i probably should've said that... but yes, that's what i did... muscle the rear, and use the steering wheel for front
__________________
Ian
AME2 USN, Disabled Vet
R0cket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
James Chang
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 83
What do I need to center

I am planning to put on 2" BB. Someone just told me that it will make something off centered with this lift. Is it true? If yes, what parts do I need to correct this problem?

Also, do I need longer sway bars?

Thanks!!!
James Chang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
James Chang
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 83
Sorry, meant to start a new thread, followed this one by mistake
James Chang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
axle , centered , center , trac bar , track bar , relocation , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.