Axle or gearing upgrades important? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle or gearing upgrades important?

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You asked where it should be on your priority list. If you have 3.73 and the 5 speed as stated, then IMO the gearing change is not a priority at all. It is perfectly adequate to get you where you need to go. Where it comes into play is your enjoyment while driving the Jeep.

If you feel you can still have fun driving your Jeep with the new tires, then don't worry about it, you won't hurt anything on your Jeep. I personally drove my 2000 TJ with 4.0 and 5 speed on 3.73's for years, and the loss of 5th gear on hills didn't really bother me.

I now have a 2005 w/ 4.0 and 6 speed, and I am geared at 4.56, which is a much, much better experience, but again, the older Jeep was not unbearable either!

roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
heethern
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info and help finding out what equipment I have. I did, by the way, fill in my profile some more. I guess it's a plus that I have the D44 in the rear?
heethern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #18
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heethern View Post
I guess it's a plus that I have the D44 in the rear?
Absolutely Depending on how seriously you want to get into offroading with your jeep, it is a much stronger base axle to build from than the D35 and will hold up well to your new 33's
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #19
onewheel
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i just got my tj and my heavy *** 32's (just temp) kill me with the 3.07 gears!!!

mine isnt a DD and is going way up very soon, so i just assume but the large gear in now to help.
my build sheet doesnt say an exact type, but it does say 175mm anti-slip diff with a 5-spd.
44 right??
and i have to get a low ratio carrier with a 4.56 or 4.88 gear correct?
onewheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #20
GETTEMTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This will help. Search this (Stock TJ Specifications) it has everything you need to fill in your profile! If the Jeep was bought used be sure the previous owner didn't upgrade nothing.. Just my .02
GETTEMTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , gear , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.